How often do you put your opponent on quads

Thread: How often do you put your opponent on quads

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Semi-Newb
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Barrie
    Posts
    228

    How often do you put your opponent on quads

    So two heads up matches literally IN A ROW. I'm knocked out when my full house is beaten by quads.

    The first one I never saw coming, but the second I have a feeling she might have had trip tens then saw the last ten come and figured no way not two in a row..??!!

    Sure enough she had quad 10's.

    So is this just the bad side of variance? Or do we play enough hands to expect to see quads once or twice a session??
    Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

  2. #2
    Not good enough do to do it ever. The math is too small to compute the odds that someone has flopped quads....

    Lost a shitload on monday night in a live 5/10NL game cause I had KK and someone flop quad JJ....oh well..

  3. #3
    Full PFC Member Graham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    5,754
    HU and it happened twice must be real rare. So hard to do put them on that HU. I'd file this as a BEAT.

  4. #4
    Official pilot of CPF JohnnieH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Stratford, PEI
    Posts
    8,773
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinner View Post
    The first one I never saw coming, but the second I have a feeling she might have had trip tens then saw the last ten come and figured no way not two in a row..??!!

    Sure enough she had quad 10's.
    wow...twice in a row. That both sucks and blows. What did you have to call with when there's trips on board? I hope a baby boat at least. If you're calling with anything less you need to examine your game a little more.
    LONG LIVE ZSA ZSA GABOR!

  5. #5
    Semi-Newb
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Barrie
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnieH View Post
    wow...twice in a row. That both sucks and blows. What did you have to call with when there's trips on board? I hope a baby boat at least. If you're calling with anything less you need to examine your game a little more.
    I can't remember the exact cards but it was similair to KKJ comes down, and I have say AJ, then turn is a blank, and river is another K. Villain moves all in, and I have the highest possible boat, and can only lose to quads. I actually put my opponent on the quads in the second time around, because the play leading up to it made me wary. But I thought, naw...not twice in a row....and shipped it...... sigh......
    Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

  6. #6
    .
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinner View Post
    KKJ comes down, and I have say AJ, then turn is a blank, and river is another K. Villain moves all in, and I have the highest possible boat, and can only lose to quads
    Untrue.

    /g2

  7. #7
    Full PFC Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Barrie..moving shortly outside of Goderich/Bayfield
    Posts
    126
    Have to agree with g2...
    If you thought you had the highest possible boat, might be time to revisit the "poker hand" hand book. If opponent has Kx / QQ / AA ...your dead...making your AJ NOT the highest possible boat.

  8. #8
    Full PFC Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Barrie..moving shortly outside of Goderich/Bayfield
    Posts
    126
    oops...before the "posting police" have a hayday with my previous post...i must clear up the "Kx"...as this is NOT part of the "best boat" hand. Only the QQ / AA.
    There...caught it before the almighty ones tore it to shreds.

  9. #9
    Super Moderator compuease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Milton, poker capital of the world.. after Wloo that is.
    Posts
    14,183
    Quote Originally Posted by OPRC View Post
    oops...before the "posting police" have a hayday with my previous post...i must clear up the "Kx"...as this is NOT part of the "best boat" hand. Only the QQ / AA.
    There...caught it before the almighty ones tore it to shreds.
    uh, Kx does make a higher boat than your AJ....

  10. #10
    Full PFC Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by compuease View Post
    uh, Kx does make a higher boat than your AJ....
    No, Kx makes quads.

  11. #11
    Super Moderator compuease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Milton, poker capital of the world.. after Wloo that is.
    Posts
    14,183
    Quote Originally Posted by DasCoupe View Post
    No, Kx makes quads.
    I meant the Kx with the x matching the blank on the turn... lol... This thread is beginning to tilt me and that takes a lot..

  12. #12
    Semi-Newb
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Barrie
    Posts
    228
    Move to life tilt then??

    And, yes highest possible boat is AA, my mistake, and why it had to spark such a discussion is beyond me.
    Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

  13. #13
    Full PFC Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinner View Post
    Move to life tilt then??

    And, yes highest possible boat is AA, my mistake, and why it had to spark such a discussion is beyond me.

    Obviously boredom!

  14. #14
    Mayor of Muckaritaville pokrgod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Welland
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinner View Post
    Move to life tilt then??

    And, yes highest possible boat is AA, my mistake, and why it had to spark such a discussion is beyond me.
    Advice here is very blunt Quinner but usually very good and concise. That got jumped on because you justified your call as "I could only get beat by quads." Although very quick to jump on your thread, the main reason is to show you that you're missing some other hands that you could be beat by in an effort to help you plug the leaks in your game. Knowing that you could be beat by AA, K-rag, QQ could possibly have saved a costly call for you.
    Runner-runner, Nothin funner

  15. #15
    Full PFC Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    waterloo
    Posts
    119
    I fold my full house ALL the time! standard fold! ez fold!!

Similar Threads

  1. Putting your opponent on a hand.
    By Johnith in forum No Limit / Pot Limit Holdem
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Oct 16,2008, 10:33 AM
  2. Lost with quads over quads!
    By BlondeFish in forum B&M Poker Game Talk
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Sep 04,2008, 08:45 AM
  3. Very Evil 3rd in a SnG (for opponent)
    By Monteroy in forum Brags, Beats & Variance
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: May 08,2008, 01:09 PM
  4. BRAG - River Luck - Quads vs. Quads
    By Graham in forum Brags, Beats & Variance
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Apr 19,2008, 04:52 PM
  5. Help me define my opponent
    By stpboy in forum General Poker Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Mar 07,2006, 02:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •