Playing Pocket Pairs

I'm talking mostly about bottom pairs here.

Now, I know it depends on what type of game, so right now I would like to talk about 10 man STT - 2,000 chips to start - early in the game.

If you get a low poket pair (22, 33, 44, 55, 66, 77) do you call any raises pre-flop?

Here is how I play them.

You have about 12% chance of hitting your set on the flop, right? That's what you are looking for. If you hit your set, you will want to win the pot, obviously. If someone raises pre-flop and you do hit, you can count on raking in a lot of chips, as this player will likely raise on the flop as well.

So, I'll call some lot bets if I have 44 or above.

If I do hit, I play them depending on how many players are in the hand. If there are more than 4 players, I will throw in a large raise and will be ready to call an all-in, as long as there are no flush or straight possibilities on the board.

If I only have one or two players in the hand with me, I will raise a little to try to get only one caller. I will then try to get as many chips as I can out of this player, as long as a striaght or flush possibility doesn't come up.

Anyway, I'm just wondering how other people play their small pocket pairs, in general. Of course, a lot of how you play hands depends on the table as well. Do you think there is a better way for me to play my low pocket pairs?

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• I think there was a very similar post a month or so back. Have a look.
  • pokerJAH wrote: »
    I think there was a very similar post a month or so back. Have a look.

I did take a quick look around, but I guess I didn't spend enough time looking.

I'll take another look around.
  • In your example of STT - look to get in as cheap as possible and hope to flop a set during the early levels. So no, you do not call ANY raise preflop
  • for tournment
    early stage, late position where i can see it for cheap
    i'll limp in.
    late stage. where my M is less then 10. i'll jam it preflop.
    cash game
    Fulling, Limp and call a raise.
    you goal is to set mine postflop.
    6max, raise and reraise in any position.
    but don't call 3bet.
    you goal is to bet until you are convience villian has hit his/her hand that beat you.
  • It's not wise to ONLY call in EP with a baby pair. (22-55) Play'em hard or fold.
  • Generally coming in raising with all hands that you open is best since it makes it difficult for you opponent to range you well when all your bets look the same. As far as pocket pairs I play all of them if I'm first to open in the early levels. Sets are the hands you have the best chance of stacking an opponent with and that makes small pairs important. The key is to make sure you have correct implied odds to make it worthwhile. Basically I use a 10x rule meaning in order to call a gbet or raise to set mine I must have at least 10 times that amount in my stack and he must have at least 10 times the amount in his stack.