Got check-raised with top 2 on turn.

$1/$2 NL 6 max. Fresh at table, no read/previous history with villain. Effective stack $200

Villain raises at CO to $7, I call on the button with JTdd. Both blinds fold.

Flop J 2 3 rainbow, villain check, I bet $10, villain calls.

Turn 10 completing the rainbow. Villain check, I bet $23, villain check-raises to $65.

Do you...
1. Call and evaluate after river
2. 3-bet shove
3. Fold

Comments

• Get it all in and hope he doesnt hit his King
  • I call with the intention of calling any river bet (non-shove). If he shoves the river I evaluate then. An Ace or King river would be probably the only two situations where I wouldn't insta-call a river shove.

I would put villain on JK,AJ or a set. If the river doesn't seem to help the first two hands, I should be good. If he has a set and I don't improve, "nh, CHIPS!".

With more history I would play different but I really would like to see what villain has here and my hand is good enough to showdown.
  • Obv. u get it in here however you want but if you think you can win at poker without reading your opponents thoroughly you are terribly mistaken. This is especially true when it comes to delicate hands like J10s. Villian could have a set here - he raised PF and checked the flop, then proceeds to put a bunch of money in later on in the hand, classic set play by some - but you have top two, which is a rock crusher esp. on this board. I'd probably call and get it in on the river, since you don't have many draws to fear.
  • Meistro wrote: »
    Obv. u get it in here however you want but if you think you can win at poker without reading your opponents thoroughly you are terribly mistaken.

Thanks for the advice. Please teach me the art of picking up a read on a villain after sitting down at the table for less than 10 hands.
  • With no reads, call me nitty, but I fold. Most of the time, villain is cbetting this flop with his entire range, so him checking this flop, and THEN check-raising the turn, sends alarm bells ringing through my ears.
  • Oh and Meistro, I really don't like your line of thinking: i.e. He could have a set but you have top-two, a rock crusher, etc..........wtf does that mean lol?
  • Smells like AJ or KJ or QJ....

Here is my reasoning....

1. CO leads preflop for 7 bucks. And you flat so your range can be anytwo cards cause you have position. Plus being relatively new to the table I give you a relatively tight range and the benefit of AA-10s you would be re-raising to isolate heads up.

2. Villian check indicates two things to me:
    1. He missed completely, or wants to see how you play position and if you will take a stab at the pot
    2. He also wants to see how you bet in relation to the pot so he can figure out what type of player you are (figure in this instance you bet 10 into a 17 dollar pot about 3/4 bet so this to me is a player that has an idea of what they are doing, hit their hand in this case a J and I have to evaluate how strong my hand is)

- Because villian check calls your bet, this screams to me huge hand (either AJ or something premium). most 1/2 players are deathly afraid of the turn coming and this is where you get most of your information.

- On the turn the 3x check raise screams to me that he has an over pair or some sort of combo draw that he needs to hit to win the hand. At this point because you have bet again he knows you have a J and figure this...if villian had a set why would he be worried about getting outdrawn on this board (22 or 33, if hero hits a J on the river he fills up so why are we betting hero out of the pot with a massive 3x check-raise? )

- I also don't see most 1/2 players opening with 22 or 33 in the CO for 7 bucks?? Unless you are in a skilled 1/2 game where they are competent post flop players.

At this point I put villian on AA-QQ or JX combo. You are ahead. I get it in...and if villian actually has a set at this point I re-evaluate the skill level in this 1/2 game and possibly ask for a table change....lol
  • westside8 wrote: »
    $1/$2 NL 6 max. Fresh at table, no read/previous history with villain. Effective stack $200

Villain raises at CO to $7, I call on the button with JTdd. Both blinds fold.

Flop J 2 3 rainbow, villain check, I bet $10, villain calls.

Turn 10 completing the rainbow. Villain check, I bet $23, villain check-raises to $65.

Do you...
    1. Call and evaluate after river
    2. 3-bet shove
    3. Fold

(1.) then pray to the poker Gods for the four outer so you can smash his/her set of 3's