Keeping Threads On Topic

I've noticed that so many threads on this site become off topic and it only hurts this site. While a lot of the posts may be funny it's really just a waste of time for people that want to read the actually thread topic.

I'm considering making only certain sections of the site to allow pictures as its not needed for every category.

I also noticed "all aces" used to be a active member here as well as other respected poker players but have since stopped posting because of how the threads become such a mess.

Suggestions?? Should this be strictly enforced?

btw I want to start by keeping this thread 100% on topic and any off topic posts will be deleted and a warning given.

Comments

• Excellent idea. There is no need for bs in the strategy sections or the wsop/wpt/ept/cpt discussion area..

Cutting back on some of the bs derailments might also help bring back, and attract some (more) really good players.
  • I agree, I for one want all aces and sir watts to post more, just to name a couple
  • Censor me, even once, and I'm out.

If I wanted that, I'd stick to twoplustwo, they have better strat and bigger collective brains..(not an insult, they have 50x the number of posters)

What I LIKE about this forum is its sense of freedom.

All Aces stopped posting here wayyyyy back when Sloth still owned the forum, well before the age of the tangent and photobucket, anyone who has suggested the cause is related to this (including himself) is lying.

Lastly, for every whiner you'll get crying about us having a laugh while getting our point across ..I probably get two telling me that I'm one of their favourite parts of this forum. (and let's face it..I'm pretty much the queen of going off topic and pic-posting, so this change largely applies to me.)
  • Theory is sound...but in practice? HERE??

Good luck Scoops.
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    Censor me, even once, and I'm out.

Wow, I just realized that we have been..and for no good reason.

This thread was funny and inviting before it was tampered with.

Please put those posts back, they weren't hurting anyone. In fact, they were pretty actively building a community as we were having a laugh together.
  • My recollection is that All_Aces left because he had too many other things going on in his life. Watts may drop in the occasional post but, lets be honest, his life (poker and otherwise) has moved beyond this site.

I have no issue with keeping strat threads on topic, but I think the charm of this site, is the complete wing-nuttery that abounds.

Standard caveat applies . . . It's your house do what you want.

If this is what you have in mind, I vote NO.

http://www.pokerforum.ca/f80/just-joined-21555/
  • STR82ACE wrote: »
    Theory is sound...but in practice? HERE??

Good luck Scoops.

While this may fail its worth a try.
    Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    Wow, I just realized that we have been..and for no good reason.

This thread was funny and inviting before it was tampered with.

Please put those posts back, they weren't hurting anyone. In fact, they were pretty actively building a community as we were having a laugh together.

Were probably going to disagree on this but really the site needs to be more organized in certain sections anyway. Members and guest visitors reading a thread in the strategy section are looking to improve there game or give input for others..Having to skip over a bunch of none topic posts in a thread like this is just a waste of time for "most" people.

I will restore the posts in the into section as i guess that area isnt as important but really there is a off topic section where alot of the stuff belongs.
    Please put those posts back, they weren't hurting anyone.

Haven't read the rest of this thread yet, but I wanted to say 'Thanks' to Scoop for fixing that thread.
  • Scoops wrote: »
    I will restore the posts in the into section as i guess that area isnt as important but really there is a off topic section where alot of the stuff belongs.

You're making the mistake of thinking that those sections have a life outside of us having fun. (look at the post counts, view counts and thread dates if you need proof)

We are not a strat. forum, we are a bunch of low and middle stakes players who tend to enjoy each other. Graham can testify from much trying that you will not change that. All you'll do is alienate regular posters.
    You're making the mistake of thinking that those sections have a life outside of us having fun. (look at the post counts, view counts and thread dates if you need proof)

We are not a strat. forum, we are a bunch of low and middle stakes players who tend to enjoy each other. Graham can testify from much trying that you will not change that. All you'll do is alienate regular posters.

This.

Although I wish the startegy content was greater here, it will never be. I'll stick to 2p2/p5s if thats where we're going.

You think Watts doesnt post here anymore because of the trolling?

LOL. He realized where he could gain the most, and went to join the 2p2 elite.

I STAY for the community and retardation. Take that away and well.....
  • Wow only 2 of my posts were deleted so far from this thread. I guess the OP is offended that I pointed out his poor grammar skills. Seriously, if you don't know what a homonym is then look it up one time.

PS -- welcome to pokerforum where hardly any of the posters play pokerz
  • I ask for one thread to stay on topic and you can't respect that?
    I ask for one thread to stay on topic and you can't respect that?

Was that this one or the other threads that had posts deleted from them? Sorry, it's hard to keep track
  • Scoops, it's not a question of respect. We like things the way they are, at least in terms of the freedom we have to spiral topics out of control if the mood strikes us.
    If you want to curtail that freedom, that is your right and privilege as owner.
    We, your faithful subjects will vote on any changes with our mice (mouses?). If we like them, we stay . . . if not, we go.
    Every owner has gone through this, at some point, and it always seems to go back to how the serfs want things. I do not know you, and vice versa, but I think you need to tread carefully here, before upsetting the established order. New members will adapt, or not. It's up to them. But, as others have said, this isn't going to be P5's or 2+2 anytime in the near future.
    Me? As a lovely woman once whispered in my ear . . .

347xlpu.jpg
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    Seriously, if you don't know what a homonym is then look it up one time.

"homo-num" is..

gay-guys~s600x600.jpg

oh maybe that is a...

1-on-1-gay-men-phone-chat-service.jpg
    GTA Poker wrote: »
    PS -- welcome to pokerforum where hardly any of the posters play pokerz

We all play, just not very well :D
  • I see what you did...much more appropriate than my deleted posts IMO
  • Milo wrote: »
    Scoops, it's not a question of respect. We like things the way they are, at least in terms of the freedom we have to spiral topics out of control if the mood strikes us.
    If you want to curtail that freedom, that is your right and privilege as owner.
    We, your faithful subjects will vote on any changes with our mice (mouses?). If we like them, we stay . . . if not, we go.
    Every owner has gone through this, at some point, and it always seems to go back to how the serfs want things. I do not know you, and vice versa, but I think you need to tread carefully here, before upsetting the established order. New members will adapt, or not. It's up to them. But, as others have said, this isn't going to be P5's or 2+2 anytime in the near future.
    Me? As a lovely woman once whispered in my ear . . .

347xlpu.jpg

I believe the drooling masses have spoken

PS -- Scoops is going too loose control over theyre posts above
    I've noticed that so many threads on this site become off topic and it only hurts this site. While a lot of the posts may be funny it's really just a waste of time for people that want to read the actually thread topic.

I'm considering making only certain sections of the site to allow pictures as its not needed for every category.

I also noticed "all aces" used to be a active member here as well as other respected poker players but have since stopped posting because of how the threads become such a mess.

btw I want to start by keeping this thread 100% on topic and any off topic posts will be deleted and a warning given.

Thanks for the input so far and keep it coming..Key points noted above.
  • With the exception of my final pic I thought I was On-Topic.
    I see what you did...much more appropriate than my deleted posts IMO

Mine have educational value.. do you realize how many forumers are running around not knowing what a 'homophone' is?

I barely stopped myself from posting "The more you know rainbow.jpg" right there.
    I barely stopped myself from posting "The more you know rainbow.jpg" right there.

Is it this won?

you-are-this-gay-rainbow-suit.jpg
    Is it this won?

I don't want to beet.jpg around the George_Bush.jpg;
    you're flames.jpg.
  • I think it has something to do with how you 'view' the forum. I load the page and click on 'todays posts'. This gives me the complete chronological mishmash of everything that's posted, not arranged in any order other than when it was posted. If I want to look at a post in the strategy section that looks interesting, I click on it. If I want to look at a post in the OT section, I click on it. The stew of threads is right in front of me.

If I never wanted to see the OT/BBV, etc. threads, I'd use the site differently. I'd go to where I can see all the categories and go into the strategy, etc. section and stay there.

I tend to read as many of the strategy section posts as I can. I tend not to be a very mathematical player, don't have HUDS, etc. so I don't clutter the strategy section up with my dumbness or my strategy of humming "feelings, nothing more than feelings" while I play. When I feel I know enough to contribute and not get destroyed by the elite, I will. I can completely understand why players like Wetts, etc. are territorial of these threads/sections and don't want them trolled, derailed, etc. They are more serious/committed to the pokerz than I.

For now, I'm here for a bit of everything but moreso the community aspect.

I think guidance and nudging would be a better approach than deleting posts and censorship. If I/someone contribute something that strays slightly but is tangentially close to topic and someone using their discretion arbitrarily deletes it...People will get pissed and say "Why bother", eventually click on remove from bookmarks and be done with it. I guess that would be called 'culling the heard' if that's the goal.
  • I haven't had a potato chip of a non-alcoholic glass of pop in 10 years now!

Pretty neat eh?

Mark
  • I think that you should do that in the poker strategy section only. Anywhere else, would be wrong.
  • Fuck it.

+1
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    I haven't had a potato chip of a non-alcoholic glass of pop in 10 years now!

Pretty neat eh?

Mark

This has got to be the potd, no?
    This has got to be the potd, no?

Too predictable.
  • So...

Does this mean we won?

Mark
  • scoops wrote:

My thoughts exactly!
    scoops wrote:

Huh? I disagree. I think posting pictures is a key part of any internet forum, and especially one related to home and online poker. I'm notorious for posting pictures of hands, whether it's a screen capture of an online poker hand, or a photograph of cards and chips in a live game, or a graph of bankroll vs. time, or whatever. I think it's just use of the medium. If it was all text, it would be boring.

Taking away pictures isn't going to keep threads on topic, but makes it less enjoyable for those who are on topic.
    scoops wrote:

It's tough to enforce anything without somebody screaming "censorship!" It would be great if posters would naturally respect that poker players want to talk about poker in poker-related sections, and to try to keep dirty jokes and pictures in off-topic sections (preferably with "NSFW" or similar in the thread title), simply out of respect for others - especially those who browse the forum during down-time at work.

And this is exactly why this site will never be very profitable (from poker advertising, etc.). As a Canadian amateur poker player looking for similar, you would think "pokerforum.ca" would be the place to go. Unfortunately, the title is a misnomer, because it has become a site for 10-20 regular posters in the K-W area. I'll stick around because I like the 1 or 2 poker-related threads that get started daily, but I don't really care for the rest of it. Sure, you don't want to alienate the 10 or so regulars who use this forum as an outlet to joke around with friends that live down the street (although I often wonder why they can't just use facebook for that stuff like everybody else), but at the same time, there are thousands of poker players across Canada that would probably post here if there was more substance and less noise. Alas...