I need to be better at re-evaluating ranges...

Sometimes I put someone on a range and, despite the post-flop raise, I will refuse to re-consider the hand. I am probably over-playing the pocket 4s, but I did feel I was ahead all the way.

Villian had just joined the table so I had no reads and no hud data. With the pocket 4s, I am raising to take the hand pre-flop. But with his call, I default villian's range to top 15% hands and some suited connectors.

Post flop I feel I am ahead and he is trying to push me off the hand with AK / AQ. A 10 is a possibility. But the Ten on the river just made this hand feel like he had AK.

Should I have folded after his turn bet? I am getting 3-1 to call the turn and I feel I have to make that River bet. I would have folded to a raise on the river, but I probably should never have been here and folded on the turn.

Kicking myself a bit on this one...
Thoughts?

PokerStars - $200 NL (9 max) - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 3
SB: $218.30
BB: $202.00
UTG: $219.00
UTG+1: $205.75
Hero (MP): $223.00
MP+1: $279.35
LP: $72.00
CO: $160.00
BTN: $211.50
SB posts SB $1.00, BB posts BB $2.00, CO posts DB $2.00
Pre Flop: ($5.00) Hero has 4:club: 4:spade:
fold, fold, Hero raises to $8.00, fold, fold, CO calls $6.00, fold, fold, fold
Flop: ($19.00, 2 players) 8:spade: 6:diamond: T:diamond:
Hero bets $9.00, CO raises to $18.00, Hero calls $9.00
Turn: ($55.00, 2 players) 3:heart:
Hero checks, CO bets $26.00, Hero calls $26.00
River: ($107.00, 2 players) T:heart:
Hero bets $50.00, CO calls $50.00
Hero shows 4:club: 4:spade: (Two Pair, Tens and Fours)
CO shows Q:spade: T:club: (Three of a Kind, Tens)
CO wins $204.00

Comments

• Hero bets $9.00, CO raises to $18.00, Hero calls $9.00

Calling was bad there. If you put him on top 15% over pairs like JJ+ are in his range. A10 could be at the bottom of his range. AQdd is also in there and you are behind statistically. I think the flop is a bet/fold.

If you wanted to play it aggressively, either raise flop or turn. But I fold flop and turn.
  • if you default him to 15% i think you'll find your behind on the flop....if you take away a few hands that he wouldn't re raise the flop with....i think you'll find your quite behind.....
  • Yea, I think this was less an example of not being able to re-range my opponent, it was more of just not being able to let the hand go.

When my session was over last night I went back through my hands using PokerTracker. Although it was a winning night, my stats showed that I was more loose than normal and played some marginal hands out of position.

I had not played in about 10 days, so I must have been trying to make up for lost time, which is a leak I must watch out for... This one table was pretty aggressive and you had to represent or you were going to get run over. There were two very well rated $200NL players at this table.