Options

HU spot

This was a strange spot for me, my read is he has Qx always. I have him totally pegged here, but I don't know if he'll fold. He's super timid but I've been picking on him. But the twist to me is that I can't win by checking the river. Also of course I have to jam if I'm going to bluff

Thats the read I guess.......

Poker Stars, $2.28 + $0.22 NL Hold'em Tournament, 2,500/5,000 Blinds, 500 Ante, 2 Players

JodaB. (BTN): 197,944
BB: 72,056

Pre-Flop: (8,500) 5clubnormal.gif 6diamondnormal.gif dealt to JodaB. (BTN)
JodaB. raises to 10,000, BB calls 5,000

Flop: (21,000) 8heartnormal.gif Qheartnormal.gif 6clubnormal.gif (2 Players)
BB checks, JodaB. checks

Turn: (21,000) Aheartnormal.gif (2 Players)
BB checks, JodaB. bets 7,500, BB calls 7,500

River: (36,000) 8spadenormal.gif (2 Players)
BB checks, JodaB. ....<^^>'s....?

Comments

• darbday wrote: »
    This was a strange spot for me, my read is he has Qx always. I have him totally pegged here, but I don't know if he'll fold. He's super timid but I've been picking on him. But the twist to me is that I can't win by checking the river. Also of course I have to jam if I'm going to bluff

Thats the read I guess.......

Poker Stars, $2.28 + $0.22 NL Hold'em Tournament, 2,500/5,000 Blinds, 500 Ante, 2 Players

JodaB. (BTN): 197,944
    BB: 72,056

Pre-Flop: (8,500) 5clubnormal.gif 6diamondnormal.gif dealt to JodaB. (BTN)
    JodaB. raises to 10,000, BB calls 5,000

Flop: (21,000) 8heartnormal.gif Qheartnormal.gif 6clubnormal.gif (2 Players)
    BB checks, JodaB. checks

Turn: (21,000) Aheartnormal.gif (2 Players)
    BB checks, JodaB. bets 7,500, BB calls 7,500

River: (36,000) 8spadenormal.gif (2 Players)
    BB checks, JodaB. ....<^^>'s....?

He has 54k back. I think less than a shove accomplishes the same thing...if he is a timid player he is never check raising you with a queen in that spot.

a) I think betting 30k looks stronger than a shove

b) You save 24k if he calls

Also, I don't see how you can put him on a queen given the action...especially if you have been aggro in prior hands
  • do u think he will fold the q? if yes, <^^> it, if not give up

edit** doesnt seem like he's ever folding tho

also, why no C bet tho?

:arghh:
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    He has 54k back. I think less than a shove accomplishes the same thing...
    Thats the deal here though, only a shove will work, he wants to check call his queen, hes happy to call a bet, but hes gonna tank like crazy if I jam.
  • costanza wrote: »
    do u think he will fold the q? if yes, <^^> it, if not give up
    this is you restating my question ;)
    costanza wrote: »
    edit** doesnt seem like he's ever folding tho
    look at that board and put yourself in his spot and imagine yourself calling your stack off with 2nd pair and how often you run into an ace or an 8.

but aside from that hes uber weak tight
    also, why no C bet tho?
    dynamics this was a longer hu. could be pot control. In a vacuum I cbet this every time

:arghh:
    this is a pirate face
  • Why can't he have a flush draw? Especially when you bet so small on turn. If he's timid more reason to cbet flop. With these stacks...min raising this hand seems bad. You're puttuing too much out there with 6 high. Against timid opponents flatting pre works just as fine.
  • Just give up, you'll just feel worse when you turn your hand into a bluff and he heros you with 99
  • Why can't he have a flush draw?
    He can, he can have Q,xh...but even if we add no queen/1 heart hands to his range it doesn't change our decision much.

Villain always has a queen, thats the read, the question is do we value jamming over check backing and forfeiting the pot
    If he's timid more reason to cbet flop.
    not cbetting is an adjustment, tailored to the dynamics of the hu match, that started long before the hu match. I c-bet like 95% of hu flops (not a stat but just sayin)

With these stacks...min raising this hand seems bad. You're puttuing too much out there with 6 high. Against timid opponents flatting pre works just as fine.
    Often I will create a flatting range as an adjustment to certain opponents, however against those that constantly fold to a min raise, flatting 56o is a mistake.
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    Just give up, you'll just feel worse when you turn your hand into a bluff and he heros you with 99
    0% capable of looking me up lighter than Qx
  • Darb - Why are we turning this into a bluff ott? Would it not be best to just try to get to showdown? I mean you have no reason to believe he has hit that board at all until he calls your turn bet. You have showdown value HU here, why not take it? From your description villain probably won't bluff any rivers...
  • reibs wrote: »
    Darb - Why are we turning this into a bluff ott? Would it not be best to just try to get to showdown? I mean you have no reason to believe he has hit that board at all until he calls your turn bet. You have showdown value HU here, why not take it? From your description villain probably won't bluff any rivers...
    can't remember my reasons for my read, but im guessing i see little value in c-betting. I could bet for protection but i don't have much equity to protect vs his preflop flatting range (tight).

betting this turn will get many better hands to fold

not so directed towards you...but i keep asking how to add 4 apples plus 2 apples and people keep asking me how i know i have 4 apples...

Given my read...what would we do.
  • could just have like 109, or j10 with 1 heart? with have showdown value check it good here. Bet bigger on turn if your going to do so though to set up a shove on the river if thats the play you want to make
  • could just have like 109, or j10 with 1 heart? with have showdown value check it good here. Bet bigger on turn if your going to do so though to set up a shove on the river if thats the play you want to make
    i dont' think so at all vs this villain

and we have no shown down value because villain has a queen and we can't beat it...
  • ok....result oriented looking back at hand history villain has a Q. But Im losing a lot of respect for you depending on your next post. Do you really think checking flop and betting 1.5bb on turn and getting called means he has 2nd pair 100% of the time on this board. Explain why he cant have K10 with the Kh. Why he cant have A5os, Why he cant have Kx with the kh, why he cant have j10 with a heart? There is no way you can convince me that said villain can never have these hands unless somehow we have his HH and it shows over an amazingly large HU sample that he folds all those hand to this action 100% of the time. Which if was true, would be incredibly horrible
  • But Im losing a lot of respect for you depending on your next post.

blibbity blackity brack zabadu bimber biber jack jack tyler :o

HOWARD STERNS PENIS :mad:
  • explain why he cant have k10 with the kh. Why he cant have a5os, why he cant have kx with the kh, why he cant have j10 with a heart? There is no way you can convince me that said villain can never have these hands unless somehow we have his hh and it shows over an amazingly large hu sample that he folds all those hand to this action 100% of the time. Which if was true, would be incredibly horrible
    PREMISE

I would rather discuss other types of heads up strategy in other threads...here villain has Qx
    premise

What did you call me? :o
    PREMISE

I would rather discuss other types of heads up strategy in other threads...here villain has Qx

Fine villain has qx, the answer is obvious then. boring thread
    :bs:
  • Fine villain has qx, the answer is obvious then. boring thread
    :bs:
    would you jam or concede?
  • if you know he has a queen you give up right now, don't even think about getting cute
  • ok....result oriented looking back at hand history villain has a Q. But Im losing a lot of respect for you depending on your next post. Do you really think checking flop and betting 1.5bb on turn and getting called means he has 2nd pair 100% of the time on this board. Explain why he cant have K10 with the Kh. Why he cant have A5os, Why he cant have Kx with the kh, why he cant have j10 with a heart? There is no way you can convince me that said villain can never have these hands unless somehow we have his HH and it shows over an amazingly large HU sample that he folds all those hand to this action 100% of the time. Which if was true, would be incredibly horrible

superuser itt
  • he is never folding a queen here unless he is superterribad...can you tell me what exact hand including suits he has here 100% of the time?
  • What did you call me? :o

prepuce?
    would you jam or concede?

you have to plan better. Bet more on turn so jam wont look so bluffy on the river. than I would say jam on the river, as played though give up.
    can't remember my reasons for my read, but im guessing i see little value in c-betting. I could bet for protection but i don't have much equity to protect vs his preflop flatting range (tight).

betting this turn will get many better hands to fold

not so directed towards you...but i keep asking how to add 4 apples plus 2 apples and people keep asking me how i know i have 4 apples...

Given my read...what would we do.

yeah I was gunna give my opinion based on your read in a bit, trying to get into your head and understand your line first.... Not doubting your read by any means. I'd just play it different with no dynamic, that's all.

The only better hands I can see folding ott are like 77, 99, maybe TT & JJ. I would mostly rule out TT & JJ since he flatted pre. What other hands will fold to your turn bet? I doubt villian has much 6x or 8x in his range, and Qx is not folding the turn, esp since you're a bully! ;)

As played, I was basically gunna say what btp said. Bet bigger on turn if your are going to bluff at it, in order to shove the river more comfortably. I don't like it though as I think you have some SD value and still not convinced we can get enough better hands to fold otr.
    he is never folding a queen here unless he is superterribad...
    just want to clarify that you think you would know this and i wouldn't
  • reibs wrote: »

still not convinced we can get enough better hands to fold otr.
    one of the issues you are having with your game is the fact that you think you can make this decision without previous history....
    just want to clarify that you think you would know this and i wouldn't

you have to decipher this sentence? for me...for realz
    you have to decipher this sentence? for me...for realz
    since im considering jamming here, you can assume villiain is really really bad and uber tight with his tournament life...

because only a bad player would consider jamming here without that ^ read

not saying im a great player...but just that im not just mashing buttons (all the time)
    since im considering jamming here, you can assume villiain is really really bad and uber tight with his tournament life...

because only a bad player would consider jamming here without that ^ read

not saying im a great player...but just that im not just mashing buttons (all the time)

if you are betting him constantly as you stated you are uber-encouraging a call by Qx in this spot with a shove imo
    since im considering jamming here, you can assume I'm really really bad and uber desperate...

couldn't resist, fixd