cbet or no

talk to me about this spot and similar spots please

PokerStars Home Game Hand #87304169075: {KrukanSTHLM} Tournament #621842507, $20+$5+$2 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level VII (60/120) - 2012/10/07 21:11:12 CET [2012/10/07 15:11:12 ET]
Table '621842507 14' 9-max Seat #7 is the button
Seat 1: kjellinio (1835 in chips)
Seat 2: PeppeSwe (1485 in chips)
Seat 3: IRichardI (5790 in chips)
Seat 4: The Swede-T (5100 in chips)
Seat 5: Saanii (3387 in chips)
Seat 6: Dannygust (3085 in chips)
Seat 7: tonken77 (4985 in chips)
Seat 8: aMPEIUs (2970 in chips)
kjellinio: posts the ante 15
PeppeSwe: posts the ante 15
IRichardI: posts the ante 15
The Swede-T: posts the ante 15
Saanii: posts the ante 15
Dannygust: posts the ante 15
tonken77: posts the ante 15
aMPEIUs: posts the ante 15
aMPEIUs: posts small blind 60
kjellinio: posts big blind 120
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to IRichardI [7s 7h]
PeppeSwe: folds
IRichardI: raises 150 to 270
The Swede-T: folds
Saanii: calls 270
Dannygust: calls 270
tonken77: calls 270
aMPEIUs: folds
kjellinio: calls 150
*** FLOP *** [9s 8s 2s]

Comments

• Oops . . . you just got more action than you were looking for and a flop that cannot make you feel warm and fuzzy. Just over 1500 in the middle, and you're second to act. How does check-fold sound?
  • check fold sounds perfectly viable, anyone have a different take on this?
  • I check/fold without reads.
  • considering that it's still early, you still have a decent stack size, you're playing out of position, and there are a lot of callers i'm usually thinking that on this type of flop i missed so i'm probably check/folding here.

if i hit my flush i don't think i'm good. if i hit my 7 i could still be beat. with all this in mind, i don't like betting out on the flop. check/fold and wait for a better spot imo.
  • I have no opinion as I don't play poker but look at all this poker content going on... Something must have been suppressing it before..:D
  • check fold all day, seems really standard against this many opponents
  • compuease wrote: »
    I have no opinion as I don't play poker but look at all this poker content going on... Something must have been suppressing it before..:D

you should just ban someone from this thread just for old times sake.
  • I am just surprised that my bigoted and unintelligent response turned out to be the consensus "right" pick . . . please ban me immediately before I strike again.
  • I dont think a small c-bet is too much out of line here really

Very hard for any sort of hand to hit that flop first of all (dry single suited), second of all, we are pre flop aggressor, we can rep alot of hands here imo

We could bet maybe half pot, and it only has to work 1/3 times, making c-betting +EV here given the board texture.. if we get flatted, re evaluate turn and try to get to cheap showdown because we have equity...

just another way to look at it, not saying this way is better than check folding, but I personally dont hink c betting is that bad
  • Think about later streets and your position and you will realize why check/fold is better than cbetting
  • costanza wrote: »
    just another way to look at it, not saying this way is better than check folding, but I personally dont hink c betting is that bad

We need to think about what hands are calling us. Every high spade, every draw, top pair is not folding to our bet.
  • Now my way of thinking here is different if I were playing this hand live... Live check/fold is way more realistic... However some here play a lot more online than I so maybe that's different?
    Now my way of thinking here is different if I were playing this hand live... Live check/fold is way more realistic... However some here play a lot more online than I so maybe that's different?

that depends, are 7s wild where you play?
  • gta poker wrote: »

lol
  • GTA Poker wrote: »

only rolled up ones...
  • I disagree that any draw is calling, in fact most draws without spades often fold this texture. If I cbet the ace of spades might bluff me off, but then again if I check I'm just giving up the pot, the 8 and 9s aren't the most likely cards to be in villains calling ranges pre.

What I ended up doing was the 600 into 1500 find out where I'm at type cbet and everyone just folded, I feel like half of the time I do that with this amount of showdown value and half of the time I checkfold. Mostly wanted to hear some thoughts, there's the issue of conserving chips and on the other hand it has to work less than one out of 3 times

If anyone still cares how much would your line change on say a 238sss flop? or a 229 rainbow flop
    Now my way of thinking here is different if I were playing this hand live... Live check/fold is way more realistic... However some here play a lot more online than I so maybe that's different?
    I'd actually be more likely to c-bet live than online because you're able to get better reads on multiple opponents. I agree that standard play for me would be to just check/fold.
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    I disagree that any draw is calling, in fact most draws without spades often fold this texture. If I cbet the ace of spades might bluff me off, but then again if I check I'm just giving up the pot, the 8 and 9s aren't the most likely cards to be in villains calling ranges pre.

What I ended up doing was the 600 into 1500 find out where I'm at type cbet and everyone just folded, I feel like half of the time I do that with this amount of showdown value and half of the time I checkfold. Mostly wanted to hear some thoughts, there's the issue of conserving chips and on the other hand it has to work less than one out of 3 times

If anyone still cares how much would your line change on say a 238sss flop? or a 229 rainbow flop

It depends a lot on the players, in a vacuum I check/fold. Live, with known players I may have a plan in mind. You have to go beyond thinking if you should cbet the flop and have a plan on the turn and river depending on what your cbet produces.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    It depends a lot on the players, in a vacuum I check/fold. Live, with known players I may have a plan in mind. You have to go beyond thinking if you should cbet the flop and have a plan on the turn and river depending on what your cbet produces.

I don't need that much of a plan, it's basically proceed with caution if they don't fold, probably give up
  • then I'd rather c/fold...also, betting 600/1500 to me is a polarizing sizing tell but I don't play mtts online so maybe I'm wrong
    I dont think a small c-bet is too much out of line here really

Very hard for any sort of hand to hit that flop first of all (dry single suited), second of all, we are pre flop aggressor, we can rep alot of hands here imo

We could bet maybe half pot, and it only has to work 1/3 times, making c-betting +EV here given the board texture.. if we get flatted, re evaluate turn and try to get to cheap showdown because we have equity...

^-^
    ^-^

My bad.
    ^-^

yes, because it worked this time it is the right play
    I have no opinion as I don't play poker but look at all this poker content going on... Something must have been suppressing it before..:D

self ban, get on topic :)

I've tried both cbet and check fold.....check fold with so many callers seems to be the best option. even one caller of your cbet makes the turn just sick. So much coin and you never feel good especially when another over card comes off. easy to expect any broadway to call