2013 WSOP TR for jontm & jonswifebren

Hi all, not a ton exciting to report, just a bit of feedback on a few things.
As you all know, Bren played two of the Rio Daily Deepstacks and one VDSE bounty.

The numbers in the $235s were insane. 1450-1800 players at end of June. Many players I know that usually play higher were in these everyday. They just couldn't pass on playing a 250-300k prize-pool for a few bills, despite turbo ish structure. You start with 15k & 30 minute levels, but blinds double and antes kick in. She finished 400/1450 (JJ<KJ AIP for 9bb) and 110th of 1400 some for $428. She had been moved constantly early in the game, which can happen as did last trip, so not a bad result considering last 3 hours she was shoving or folding).

Prior to the trip she had wanted a shirt reading "tell me how i could have played that better". In one fun hand she flopped Quad Kings holding KK vs AA in an isolated pot. She knew he wasn't folding on the big stack when he raised her flop bet and jammed. He snapped and doubled her. Then said "why didn't you slow play me. You could have gotten more." He was serious.

She likes to banter with her table and is part of her game. Fun factor wise would take Rio over VSDE all day, also softer.

As for the VSDE, she found way more solid tables, better structure but small field at not quite 200 for a $300 Black chip bounty. Rules were extremely strict but proper (no phones, standard penalties etc) but also very dry. Of 3 tables no one was talking so good game if you just want to grind. Again, banter helps her to catch opponents of guard, so not her cup of tea.

As for the logistics, went on a tight budget, with kids, so might not have been my most eventful trip. I had a blast with the kids seeing sights and hitting pool, heat was awesome at 45-50c everyday. I bought a '13 Sonata a few months back and very much enjoyed drive down. First time I've owned a 4 cylinder in years and in Eco was getting 750km to tank. Cost me about $160 each way with premium, it's about 2100k from home.

I LOVE the scenery on way down, your looking at mountains whole way and winding through canyons. Was happy to do the entire trip there in daylight.

First day we drove to Provo Utah (13 hours) and took room at Holiday Inn for $94 with breakfast. From there it was about 7 hours and we were in Vegas about 2pm. Checked in at Rio for 3 nights for a total of $60 with wifi in resort fee.

They have lots of cheap food options and the 4 pools made for lots of space and family friendly, so actually found myself liking resort much more with family than my last trip there without. I had canceled another room comped under Bren's TR as we didnt bring her dad and tried to get it for last few days of trip but with Main starting, they couldn't.

We drove to CVS, Jack in Box, Jimmy Johns etc, crazy how much is out of business away from strip.

I seen SickCards & few other Calgarians at Rio, also Kai whom some may remember, hung out with Jofay a bit, congratulated both Holloway & Bicknell on brackets. Pretty much it for socializing, not going for smokes cut down running into folks I guess.

Moved to TI and same situation. They had told me they would look when we arrived to see about comps as I didn't need 2nd room. Service was amazing and got awesome view on 23rd floor for 4 nights, $220 no resort fee after comps. They also gave us each $105 in slot credit. Pool was not as family friendly though, only one and packed! Also, Having celebrated July 4th in Niagra once I expected a lot more in Vegas, despite a perfect view of guard tower and show at Caesers, it was Meh.

Kids say Fantasmic & Wishes at DisneyWorld have ruined all water, fire and light shows to come...

The poker room at TI has moved and spreads a 3/6 FL now, she played $60 but no luck. She had also played a $200 BI session of 1/3 for hours at Rio but was stuck $97. Being on strip, food cost doubled and then some. We played on their $210 till it bust, earning 1300 RCs over quite a bit of play. There is a point to this.

I asked about buffet comps as I usually get but they explained as since I was on a comp they would expect 3500 RCs a day before doing this. 1 RC is $1.50 play. I never asked formula before. Last time we were there a few friends had recently hit progressives max betting, so we had done the same in 2012. We never went up or down more than $300, but we had a few thousand float.

Based on their 200 this trip and rough math from last time, I figure whatever you are playing in $ x 10 (win or lose) will be your earned RCs. I can't imagine away from slots how anyone could earn with out big bets on table games. Slots "spin through" an exaggerated amount fast.

All this to say some were wondering and this is one method of getting free nights, but too risky I'm thinking compared to booking well ahead. House isn't stupid. They weren't pleased I wasn't playing but gave one buffet comp. I told them I wanted it more for line pass than anything and they explained that "invited guests" can just ask for line pass. They also told me on check in on a comp I could have used that line too. Call me a noob.

All in all I think I got great value for the cost of the trip. Picked up some clothes duty free that normally pay 5x as much for here as well. I don't expect that TI will be sending any offers soon but Harrahs/Caesars is already for off peak weekday room nights.

I thought TI was good for comps and prob better than Harrahs if you are gambling a lot, but if you spend just a few bucks at Harrahs properties they are going to roll out a bit of a red carpet. I'll be going with them next time.

After 7 trips down its getting a bit familiar and if Bren didn't love the place, see myself seeking cabin in Montana for even less to get shopping in. On drive back we made call to switch on and off and drive straight though as kids (and I) missed the animals. We would have been coming in for rush hour if we stopped for night and hotels were pricier than south anyway. Wasn't our first picnic for this and easily finished drive.

Pretty much all I got, next year will plan better financially (not blowing an engine and taking a Disney trip a few months before) and we want to go in June when everyone else is there, even if kids miss a few days if school.

Going to hit Great Falls in August to finish back to school shopping.

Comments