I'm A Huge Degen

I have always fared well in tournament and cash games. then I build my bankroll up into the thousands then play heads up PL Omaha usually well outside of my bank roll allowance. I play well and go up and down for awhile but usually coming out well ahead. My problem is, because I'm out of where I should be in terms of roll management, when the variance hits it hits me hard, I can't stop and bust...every...single...time. It's the rush of the game for some heavy stakes that hooks me.

So, I stopped playing for a year bc I tilted myself and hated poker even though it's my own fault.

Fast forward to this week. I create a new account at Stars - I deposit 50 - build that up to slightly over $300 in a couple of days via multitabling snap cash games, have about 1250 FPPs. Guess where I go? PLO HU .25/50, run good for about 6 hours then lose my roll down to $100 go tilt that off at some other cash games and I bust...again. Here I sit because now I hate Stars (even though it's my fault) about to load up on FTP. I know I will build up my roll again and then I will probably repeat the cycle.

The thing is, I play Omaha well but the variance is crazy and I am playing well outside of where I should be. If I could walk or play lower stakes it would actually be very profitable for me but again my problem is I cannot do that.

Am I the only degenerate that does this? Anyone else with a similar history. Advice? Can you block certain games?

Comments

• how about regulating your play based on the site? for example, use fulltilt for your PLO degening and use stars for everything else. you can only play PLO after winning on stars and transferring to fulltilt.
  • ban yourself on stars with responsible gaming so you can only play the lower limits.. problem solved.. I don't have this problem yet I have banned myself from the high stakes games in case my registering program registered me or if I ever tilted really hard and went up...

You can also e-mail pstars @ wecare@pokerstars.com and have them ban you from the limits that you want, or i'm sure they can ban you from PLO in general..
  • welcome to the forum.

self ban would be a decent interim solution I suppose, but at the end of the day this is a game where the goal is to make good decisions. money management and game selection decisions are just as important as the rest, so you are only cheating yourself if you try to ignore them.

It's kind of like quitting smoking: "all you have to do is not do it!"
  • Losing $50 is not a huge degen. Have fun with your money.

If you make this post 1000 more times - then you have a problem
  • You sound like someone that used to post around here, but he scammed some people for lots of money so thats not likely u amirite.
  • He gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • This in a nutshell has been my number 1 problem prior to this year (and a current case of ridiculous run bad).

I followed your pattern to an absolute tee. This year i simplified things, i stick to the games i am best at and set strict guidelines for which level i should be playing at for my current bankroll, no exceptions. It took me almost 10 years of playing to learn this but i think ihave finally learned bankroll management. So i feel your pain but have no advice i think its one of those things you must learn on your own.