Recommended Reading for NL Cash Games

2»

Comments

• I think his point was to limp with AA or KK and hope to hit trips on the flop; if you do hit, it will be well disguised as your opponents won't put you on this starting hand ("who calls with AA KK preflop?").

The thought of limping (or overlimping) AA or KK to flop a set is utterly retarded for a multitude of reasons, not the least of which is that if you're set mining with the big pairs and haven't pumped it preflop you've managed to win next to nothing with your "monster" since often the deck is so utterly crippled by your top set.

Playing certain hands occaisionally to disguise the strength of your hands is fine, but you have to realize that you're passing up a BIG preflop edge here by doing so. Doing it on a whim against passive donkey opponents that are apt to make big mistakes by calling your raise with short stacks when they aren't getting the implied odds to do so is just horrible IMO.

I haven't read the book, so I don't know if it's a weak-tight idiot's guide to holdem, or just trash in general (or if it's been misquoted here). And again, I suck at NL. I have read Sklansky/Millers NL book and thought it was fairly good however...
  • ScoobyD wrote: »
    The thought of limping (or overlimping) AA or KK to flop a set is utterly retarded for a multitude of reasons, not the least of which is that if you're set mining with the big pairs and haven't pumped it preflop you've managed to win next to nothing with your "monster" since often the deck is so utterly crippled by your top set.

I think the whole premise is to try and double through your opponents, not make a little at a time. If you hit your trips, you are hoping your opponent(s) also hit two pair or trips and then it will be hard for them to fold (as they won't put you on trip Aces or Kings). I think this strategy has some merit. I have lost lots of money raising pre-flop with AA/KK with my opponents (usually sharks) hitting two pair when they call with 56s, etc. I typically raise with these hands pre-flop but I do see merit in this strategy.