Royal Cup Trophy

I know mentioning this could result in us landing in some dangerous territory however I think it would be nice if we finally purchased a trophy for this event. We could back track and place the 3 previous winners on it. I think if each team collected an extra $2 per player, we would have between $160- $200 for a trophy. In Cups to come we could put that $2 towards individual winners trophies. Let me know what you think?

stp

Comments

• Yeah but cash is the trophy you can put down a strippers G string.
  • BBC Z wrote: »
    Yeah but cash is the trophy you can put down a strippers G string.

Then you have never tried with a trophy....it makes an interesting experience.

• BigChrisEl wrote: »
    Then you have never tried with a trophy....it makes an interesting experience.

Obviously, an ex Army would know these things ;)
  • NO TROPHIES!!! If somebody wants something to put on their mantle, let them buy it themselves. I'll take pictures if I want a memento - give me the cash...
  • I agree Shannon that It would be a nice touch but I remember that in the lead up to the first RC there was a very negative reaction to a Trophy. At one time I was going to spring for one but decided donating $50 every 6 months playing in the event was good enough.
  • stpboy wrote: »
    We could back track and place the 3 previous winners on it.
    Any chance STP ever won this?

Logistical nightmare. Who gets the trophy for the rest of the year? What if that person goes MIA?

I agree with BBC. Just pump your toonies into the stripper.
  • Awarding trophies at the first Royal Cup was a very nice touch. Were they donated by one of the organizers or a poker sponsor?

What about if the players use their connections to get a poker club or company to sponsor trophies, poker tables, etc? I managed to get Pirana Poker Tour to provide eight poker table tops, cards, etc. for the last two Royal Cups, but they got screwed in the K-W region and no longer have a presence there so they may not be willing to give any support this time.
    pokerdro wrote: »
    I agree Shannon that It would be a nice touch but I remember that in the lead up to the first RC there was a very negative reaction to a Trophy.
  • I got some old toliet seats I could spray paint gold for you. Horseshoe shaped too. Seems strangely appropriate.
  • moose wrote: »
    I got some old toliet seats I could spray paint gold for you.
    Sounds about right. Have some kind of parade at the end with the winners displaying their laurels. Although, isn't that more appropriate for horses than donkeys?
  • -ev wrote: »
    Any chance STP ever won this?

Logistical nightmare. Who gets the trophy for the rest of the year? What if that person goes MIA?

I agree with BBC. Just pump your toonies into the stripper.

Believe it or not, nor my team or me as an individual have ever won anything at the Royal. Thanks for the assumption though ;) I just thought that the winning team could hold on to the one trophy for that period of time, also thought that the Waterloo teams as well as the GTA Piranas would want there name on it.

stp
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    Awarding trophies at the first Royal Cup was a very nice touch. Were they donated by one of the organizers or a poker sponsor?

I donated the first set of trophies. I agree it is a nice touch. But it is an expensive proposition and most people would rather have cash.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    Awarding trophies at the first Royal Cup was a very nice touch. Were they donated by one of the organizers or a poker sponsor?

What about if the players use their connections to get a poker club or company to sponsor trophies, poker tables, etc? I managed to get Pirana Poker Tour to provide eight poker table tops, cards, etc. for the last two Royal Cups, but they got screwed in the K-W region and no longer have a presence there so they may not be willing to give any support this time.

Your incessant whining really is pathetic, if you hate the area so much and can do nothing other then complain about a fantastic event like the Royal Cup then why don't you and your stupid Pirana's just fuck the hell off.
  • Don't hold back. Tell him how you really feel.
  • moose wrote: »
    Don't hold back. Tell him how you really feel.
    ROFL. POTD.

/g2
  • Oh Eric, it's so nice to read your posts. No one will ever excuse you of being two faced. And frankly I agree with you.
  • Jeesh E, that is a little harsh, don't you think? I understand the sentiment but don't think he's slamming KW, it's just that Pirana was kinda stabbed in the back by one of their own TD's from KW as I understand it. I don't think it's any reflection on KW poker in general... KW is the home of poker, it's just that Milton poker (ie Rock) has far surpassed it in quality... <sw>
  • Big E wrote: »
    Your incessant whining really is pathetic, if you hate the area so much and can do nothing other then complain about a fantastic event like the Royal Cup then why don't you and your stupid Pirana's just fuck the hell off.

So not much has change, highschool 15 years later, popular people picking on people who are "different" from the norm.

Prophet :2h :2s
    I'll admit I'm not a fan of this team because it has changed the feeling of the Royal Cup from the first year, but I too think this is a bit harsh. However, rather than tell them to take a hike, I'd encourage them to participate more. I like Buddy and have played with him numerous times, but the rest of the team is totally unknown.

I've always viewed the Royal as a very competitive event, but also a big social one as well. Half the teams are regulars from around KW, but the other half (Ching Hill and the Toronto team) were players who regularly post on the forum and/or played in the old forum tournies. It's not a "popularity" thing like what Brent describes, but it's more a community thing. The Piranas only contact with this community is this one tournament, and that does make them feel a bit like outsiders, and there hasn't been much consistency to the team other than Buddy (compared to other teams which are mostly the same year-to-year). Hopefully Buddy understands what I mean - not trying to slam his team - I just don't know them, and because the players keep changing, I can't get to know them.

That said, without the forum tournies it's a bit more difficult to get into this community than it was a year ago, so I don't really have any useful suggestions other than to keep all this venom away from this event, which has always been the most enjoyable day of poker. I don't know the Piranas that well, but I don't hate them or hope that they stay away. I'm glad that Buddy is coming since he is a good player and a valuable member of this community, and wish him and his team the best of luck at the RC.

Heck, I've even shaved my moustache that caused so much controversy at the first one so that should lighten the mood! :)

I think that's a little harsh E. But to the forum's credit I did (along with others) put in teams to the Piranah poker olympics in which the forum teams did very well with Milton rocks team qualifying to the one tourney and my team qualifying for the other tourney.

Whether good or bad a good number of posters/players are in the KW region so it ends up being the venue almost by default. I would like to see an occassional change (I did like the first venue in Milton) to accomodate us "out of towners".
    I am really looking forward to my first time at the Royal Cup, as a member of the Pirana's team. Little did I know that I would be jumping into such controversy.
  • beanie42 wrote: »
    Heck, I've even shaved my moustache that caused so much controversy at the first one so that should lighten the mood! :)

hopefully you kept the Cardigan...or maybe I won't recongize you!!!

I love the Royal. I really am looking forward to this event, hell, its one of the only events I make it to all year.

Enough with the bashing, lets get our teams together (including GTA-Pirahana's) and lets get it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave
  • Wolffhound wrote: »

Enough with the bashing, lets get our teams together (including GTA-Pirahana's) and lets get it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave

I don't mind a good trash talking players and/or teams, but lets keep the poison out it as much as possible. I don't think there was a single Ryder that didn't have SOME kind of huge disagreement just prior to the big game day, yet it still went off without any malice and every one was a great time.

Walt's Friend...I hope you don't take this banter too harshly. It CAN be damaging, but they day itself is a great time to meet, greet, and play poker with teams/individuals you wouldn't normally be able to that often.
  • I am really looking forward to my first time at the Royal Cup, as a member of the Pirana's team. Little did I know that I would be jumping into such controversy.

Just don't get kidnapped the night before and you'll be fine Sandy..... :)
  • STR82ACE wrote: »
    Walt's Friend...I hope you don't take this banter too harshly. It CAN be damaging, but they day itself is a great time to meet, greet, and play poker with teams/individuals you wouldn't normally be able to that often.
    I'm not worried. I've never been afraid of intense competition and trash talking. :)
  • compuease wrote: »
    Jeesh E, that is a little harsh, don't you think? I understand the sentiment but don't think he's slamming KW, it's just that Pirana was kinda stabbed in the back by one of their own TD's from KW as I understand it. I don't think it's any reflection on KW poker in general... KW is the home of poker, it's just that Milton poker (ie Rock) has far surpassed it in quality... <sw>

I completely agree with this and think this is what Buddy was saying. I am familiar with what happened in regards to Pirana in KW, this post IMO has nothing to do with whining...

stp
  • compuease wrote: »
    Jeesh E, that is a little harsh, don't you think? I understand the sentiment but don't think he's slamming KW, it's just that Pirana was kinda stabbed in the back by one of their own TD's from KW as I understand it. I don't think it's any reflection on KW poker in general... KW is the home of poker, it's just that Milton poker (ie Rock) has far surpassed it in quality... <sw>

I'm sure you're right Jeff. I'm usually a little harsh. I speak my mind too quickly sometimes but hey, at least I speak my mind and like it or not that is just how I feel. I think the Pirana's showed zero class last year and although I do not know the guy who is blonde fish he was their captain. I know I had a couple who were just plain asses at my tables and I also know I'm not alone in thinking this...a lot of comments were made that day. That said perhaps I could have voiced my opinion in a more suitable manner?

I love the thing that is the Royal cup and I also know you can't always like everyone at your table...heck, ask the other 7 people at my table, they'll tell you....but it's still a great day. I just hope the Pirana's field a team with a little more class this year.

p.s. Brent, you know I like and respect you but for the record my comments were not "picking on someone different". I don't know who this guy is other then the Captain of the Pirana's...and trust me, I am certainly not "popular".
    I think the Pirana's showed zero class last year

... I know I had a couple who were just plain asses at my tables and I also know I'm not alone in thinking this...a lot of comments were made that day.

I just hope the Pirana's field a team with a little more class this year.

No chance of improvement...they've drafted me. ;) and I inturn kidnapped Sandy and forced her to join with the same bet that earned her new sub-title.

For the record, Buddy is the epitome of class and I am sure that I will be shouldering the enormous responsibility of maintaining the Pirranha's distinctive identity on my own.

So I'll start by saying that Kitchener produces players who are nothing more than incompetent and over-aggressive luckbox girls.
  • stpboy wrote: »
    KW is the home of poker, it's just that Milton poker (ie Rock) has far surpassed it in quality...

I completely agree with this ...

stp
    You really do agree with this? Wow.. The Rocks have arrived.... lol
  • The trick is...

Drink enough that you're either

A: MORE annoying than anyone else

B: Completely oblivious to the other players.

I call it the "Winning friends and influencing people the DrTyore/Wolffhound way" ;)

Oh.. and whenever possible, climb on a chair / table, and fall off.

Mark
  • Right....so now that we've all had a good chane to cut eachother up and we all realise the Piranha team this event will once again be totally different, when are we doing the placements?

I'm looking through the other threads and it looks like Lunatics only have a couple players, no clue what is going on with the GTA team, 2 new team showing interest and by the looks of it the other 7 teams will be returning.

What are we setting for a cutoff date to get the rosters in, because the table selection usually takes at a week or two and I can't do anything to get that started without knowing how many teams to put in the schedule.

And fwiw, I think the trophies from RC I were great (I still have mine of course) but I'm not a fan of going out and spending the extra money to get a trophy that I have to keep hauling back and forth every 6 months. I would prefer to just have the cash and have the winning team take home the scoreboard after the tournament than to try to deal with the logistics of an actual trophy.