Auto push or auto muck?

Run of the mill loose-aggressive 1/2NL game. My image would be a bit tight, if anyone was paying attention. I had just been beaten a couple hands ago FH over FH and reloaded to 300. The villain had me covered after winning a 400+ pot calling with the nut flush against an all-in and a re-raise all-in on a paired board. NH but not sure I'd put that many chips in against that kind of aggression. So my image of him is perhaps a bit loose and maybe not too sensitive to the action in the hand with regard to hand values.

To the hand in question, 1 limper (with around 100) to the villain on the button. He raises to 15. Hard to put the villain on a specific hand just yet but he's not usually out of line. So I give him credit for a good Ace or med-high PP, but there is a chance this is a complete bluff as well as I do believe he could be taking advantage of his position. I have 33 in the BB. The fact the villain had more than 300 made me think this was worth a call in the event I hit. Probably borderline but I call and limper folds.

I check dark. From previous play, villain knows if I hit I will likely CR. Flop comes T73 rainbow. Villain checks behind. Damn!

Turn comes another 7. Not sure why but I checked again. I had a feeling villain would not let this one go by. Villain bets 20 into a 31 pot. I CR to 70. Villain thinks for a while and re-raises to 220.

Thoughts here? What do you put villain on? I'm thinking there is a very good chance he would play any overpair or any hand with a 7 this way. I don't expect to see too many hands with a 7 from him, possible A7s or 77. Of course TT or 77 are distinct possibilities, too. If I planned to call here, I've only got about 60 left so I would be pushing and expecting a call.

Comments

• A few thoughts

I love getting in at a fair price with pocket pairs trying to hit a set, so the 33 call is fine by me, especially considering he has so much back

Checking in the dark was fine by me too, it's a hit or miss situation, sucks that he didn't comply by firing.

He re raises (essentially) all in when you have a boat. THis is pretty much what you were looking for, I gleefully throw chips in. Considering the information you've given us:

- He isn't board sensitive (the flush thing)
    - He's loose, and assumingly aggressive, and he was on the button
    - He may have a 7 and think he's got you, so marrying the hand
    - You have a monster, there are precisely 4 hands that beat you - don't see (bigger) monsters under the bed.

Based on your reads, you say he'd play ANY 7 this way, and any pair over 10's. Is it possible he'd do the same with a strong 10? (A10)? So, of these hands listed, there are 12 x-7 hands (only two of which are bad), 3 over pair hands, and two monster hands (10,10, 7,7).

4 hands that beat you out of 17, and you even have a redraw for 3 of those? ;)

I push my chips in.

Mark
  • Thanks, Dr. Either my post was completely uninteresting or no one else on this site is interested in discussing poker strategy. Either way, sad.

One thing I do want to make clear from my post, the chances of him having any 7 are slim. These would be mainly in the bluffing but got lucky category - maybe 10% of the time he's bluffing PF and just happens to hit the miracle with his 7. He could have A7s or 77, though. I don't put those in the bluff category. I'm thinking 80% or better he's got TT+ here. I think he needs better than top pair to go to war here the vast majority of the time.
  • If he has a made hand (pocket 7's or pocket 10's) why would he come over the top of you, to give you the chance to fold?

The board is not very connected in any way so the bet to me looks like he is trying to get you to fold not call.

I think he has something like A-7 or an over pair and is trying to see where he is at.

If you push and it is full house over full house then you just got cold decked and there is nothing you can do.

If he has a better hand then you and you don't go broke here then you are playing too weak.
  • BigChrisEl wrote: »
    If he has a made hand (pocket 7's or pocket 10's) why would he come over the top of you, to give you the chance to fold?
    THAT is the big question now, isn't it? And something I definitely considered.

Could be he thinks I'm drawing and I'll chase with shitty odds. By getting the money in now, I'll be pretty much pot committed.

Maybe he puts me on AT and thinks I will shut down if a J, Q or K comes?

Or maybe he is just an ABC player telling me he has the best hand so he's gonna bet it.
  • -ev wrote: »
    THAT is the big question now, isn't it?
    No, it's a rhetorical question. When someone has the nuts they don't want you to fold. He'd have to be a super tricky player with a long history with you for him to pot commit himself with the nuts (or near-nuts).

Look at the hand from his perspective. You checked the flop. You checked the turn. From a mile away your check-raise on the turn looks like a steal. So he resteals. Depending on the size of his cojones I'd say he could have as little as 10-9o in this spot. Even if he's a rock he still does this with any 7.

I break my wrists shoving my stack in. He grudgingly calls and shows J10o, right?

/g2
  • Bottom line...instanta push....I put the villian on either A-10, A-7 or a PP. The way this guy played out the hand is he was looking to trap you. He doesn't put you on a hand and because of his chip stack he figures he can take the pot down right away (and if you call he is probably beat but can draw out on you)

I would have played the hand the same, maybe bet the flop to disguise my set even more, because anyone who button raises will probably float you on that textured flop hoping to hit their card on the turn.
  • Not necessarily rhetorical. I have to agree that the obvious play is not to put in a big raise with something close to the nuts here. I don't rate this player in the 'excellent' category (no do I put myself anywhere near there, obviously) but I do agree it doesn't make much sense to put that much out there with TT or 77 and risk chasing me away.

Looks like we are in agreement it makes sense to push here. I'll wait for anyone else to chime in before I post the results.
  • Rien ne va plus.

I indeed pushed. He called instantly and turned over TT. I'm still trying to figure it out but perhaps the flop check should have been a clue.
  • -ev wrote: »
    Rien ne va plus.

I indeed pushed. He called instantly and turned over TT. I'm still trying to figure it out but perhaps the flop check should have been a clue.

Full house over full house.

If you don't go broke here then you are playing too passive.

Agreed. Although we were semi-deep here, I'm curious if anyone could get away from this if the stacks were bigger. How much bigger? I'd like to think I can learn but I dunno. Situations like this do not come up very often but they are the big money makers/losers when they do.

I put up the post to see if anyone thinks I could have played this better or if my opponent played it poorly.

Exacly what i was gonna say!