AQs vs. Hyper Aggressive Player

Villian is playing transparently aggressive, in my reasonably short time with him (~1hr) he has raised the VAST majority when folded to him in late position. c/o to sb.

Do you raise?
Will you call the re-raise?

*********** # 1 **************
PokerStars Game #13953127003: Tournament #70445437, $25.00+$2.50 Hold'em No Limit - Level VIII (200/400) - 2007/12/18 - 21:59:32 (ET)
Table '70445437 118' 9-max Seat #3 is the button
Seat 1: WPThero (12145 in chips)
Seat 2: Stark_India (13400 in chips)
Seat 3: KimchiNutz (18258 in chips)
Seat 4: Kristy_Sea (10870 in chips)
Seat 5: K-TOWN DADDY (17341 in chips)
Seat 6: ScottieM1206 (2105 in chips)
Seat 7: EBJR (12824 in chips)
Seat 8: madscout (27560 in chips)
Seat 9: blazers01 (5595 in chips)
WPThero: posts the ante 25
Stark_India: posts the ante 25
KimchiNutz: posts the ante 25
Kristy_Sea: posts the ante 25
K-TOWN DADDY: posts the ante 25
ScottieM1206: posts the ante 25
EBJR: posts the ante 25
madscout: posts the ante 25
blazers01: posts the ante 25
Kristy_Sea: posts small blind 200
K-TOWN DADDY: posts big blind 400
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Kristy_Sea [Ac Qc]
ScottieM1206: folds
EBJR: folds
madscout: folds
blazers01: folds
WPThero: folds
Stark_India: folds
KimchiNutz: raises 800 to 1200
Kristy_Sea: raises 2000 to 3200
K-TOWN DADDY: folds
KimchiNutz: raises 15033 to 18233 and is all-in

Comments

• Why did you reraise? Was it to see if the villain would back down knowing you had the better hand? Was it to try to get the villain to make the bluff? I like the reraise, but in the end you didn't have a made hand. Even against a total bluff, you would still be 60-40 to win the hand. You need to really trust your read here to make the call.
  • I don't really like the re-raise Kristy. If you are folding to a 4 bet why re-raise this?

Re-steal would be fine in this spot but I would do it with a weaker hand. With AQs I would see a flop and see if he will spew some chips if you hit.
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    Do you raise?
    Will you call the re-raise?
    Yes & definitely yes. You are getting 2-to-1 pot odds to call the all-in, i.e., a breakeven percentage of 34% (7,645 chips left / 22,315 total pot). As long as you think that you have a 34% chance of winning, then the correct EV-maximizing decision is to call. Even if the villain has a tight range of {AK, pair}, I would call. Given the hyper aggressive player's much wider range of raising hands, calling with AQs is highly +EV.

P.S. In the 0.2448979591837% chance that the villain has the only hand that you are not getting good odds to call - AA - then f*ck EV! ;)
  • Ignore anyone asking why the re-raise...

The answer to that boys and girls is "because I'm very likely to be getting money in good". and that's the point of poker

Re-raise, and snap call.. then shout out "I'll see you in hell $27!!"

You want to get his money before someone else takes it

Someone harder to take it from

Mark
  • ok good now callcallcallcallcallcallcall
  • Please snap call.
  • Conclusion:
    KimchiNutz: raises 15033 to 18233 and is all-in
    Kristy_Sea: calls 7645 and is all-in
    *** FLOP *** [Kd 9c 8h]
    *** TURN *** [Kd 9c 8h] [7d]
    *** RIVER *** [Kd 9c 8h 7d] [7c]
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    Kristy_Sea: shows [Ac Qc] (a pair of Sevens)
    KimchiNutz: shows [Ks Th] (two pair, Kings and Sevens)
    KimchiNutz collected 22315 from pot

I guess I was just wondering if anyone thought this was setting myself up for too big of a gamble? Is it better to play this more passively? It sounds like most of you are in the same school of thought as I originally was.

Thanks!

• No one ever posts these HHs when they win but anyway...

I don't think I would put 30% of my stack in there as my original move. You are pretty much committed to the hand once you do that so why not push and hopefully gain a bit of fold equity?

Now, if you want to do this in hopes he'll think you are on a total re-steal as a ploy to get him to push, not a bad idea but it is a high variance move. I find the poker gods always crap on me when I get greedy.

As played, blondie is right that you have to call. Your equity against his range is huge.
    he has raised the VAST majority when folded to him in late position. c/o to sb.

?

His range is >>50%. of hands????

easy re-raise.

He's hyperagg? and you're getting 2 to 1????

Easy call.

Suggestion.

Check out Mathematics of poker.

AQs has a jam% and a call-jam% >> 50BB

ie, I'd call 20,000 here.

10,000 I don't have to think.. it goes in if he's playing sound poker.
    If he's an aggro I burn the felt pushing it in so fast....

• Suggestion.

Suggestion: Ask your wife to put out more

Having a bad day?

Having a bad day?

LOLZ

Who asks?
  • Suggestion.

AQs has a jam% and a call-jam% >> 50BB
    ie, I'd call 20,000 here.
    10,000 I don't have to think..
    I'm checking out the book "The Mathematics of Poker" aka BlondeFish's Bible. ;) ReefAquarium, I don't think the Jam and Fold tables applies in most situations, including this one.

Even if the action was folded to the SB, you should not jam with AQs just because you have less than 50 BB; a standard raise probably has a higher EV. Had the villain on the puck jammed immediately (instead of first raising), it would not make sense to call with AQs just because you have less than 50 BB, with the BB still to act.

In this situation, IF the raiser is very tight and plays only 3% of his hands, I would fold AQs and would call only with AA-TT or AK.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    In this situation, IF the raiser is very tight and plays only 3% of his hands, I would fold AQs and would call only with AA-TT or AK.

Calling here with AQs is +ev...

AQs vs this range is almost 38%... you call is just over 34% of the final pot
  • Not according to David Sklansky. He puts the 3% range as {AA-JJ, AK} and AQs is not getting 2-to-1 odds of winning against that range.
    Calling here with AQs is +ev...
    AQs vs this range is almost 38%... you call is just over 34% of the final pot

Having a bad day?

I need a girlfriend, Preferable one the plays poker.
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    Ignore anyone asking why the re-raise...

The answer to that boys and girls is "because I'm very likely to be getting money in good". and that's the point of poker

C'mon. You're behind any pocket pair. I don't really see the point in a reraise here as you are calling a shove anyway. IMO it's a shove or a call..and you don't even have to hit the flop as a stop and go works here or let's you survive.
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    Re-raise, and snap call.. then shout out "I'll see you in hell $27!!"

Mark

I haven't gotten to the end yet but you know this wouldn't have been posted had Kristy won...... She called and her 27 went to hell.... Her AQ was probably up against small suited connectors and he hit 2 pair.

The answer given your reads Kristy is call calll calllllllll
  • you have to reraise here against this opponent. by reraising instead of shoving you can get him to hang himself and do something stupid thinking he has fold equity. obv have to call a shove... if he has a hand that has you dominated you just have to chalk it up as a cooler against this oppenent
    Not according to David Sklansky. He puts the 3% range as {AA-JJ, AK} and AQs is not getting 2-to-1 odds of winning against that range.

Ohhh... THAT 3%... sorry, haven't read that one.
  • _obv_ wrote: »
    you have to reraise here against this opponent.

That's what I needed to hear.
  • Reraising is the high-variance, donkey play. Poooooooooooosh!
  • Am I the only one who smooth calls here if I decide not to shove?

It's level 8, so 65% of the field is gone and we have a stack about 3k above average despite the current table average.

What's the rush to get into flipping for stacks with a donk here, while throwing our fold equity out the window? Again, A stop n go works here most times, and if it doesn't we come out with 7k or so and are still in this thing. Too nitty?

It's level 8, so 65% of the field is gone and we have a stack about 3k above average despite the current table average.

What's the rush to get into flipping for stacks with a donk here, while throwing our fold equity out the window? Again, A stop n go works here most times, and if it doesn't we come out with 7k or so and are still in this thing. Too nitty?

Kristy says:
    Villian is playing transparently aggressive, in my reasonably short time with him (~1hr) he has raised the VAST majority when folded to him in late position. c/o to sb.

Only one response.

Turn on the shove-o-matic-pushbot.

This guy is raising most hands in late position so AQ is miles ahead of his range. AQ is not the type of hand you want to call and see a flop with against this type of opponent with this stack size.

I think making a standard reraise here is better than shoving. He could interpret the reraise 2 ways. The first as a sign of real strength meaning you could get him to fold some hands you are racing against that he would call a shove with. He may also see the reraise as you trying to make a move and leaving yourself with a decent stack if you get shoved on in which case he may 4 bet shove with a pretty wide range thinking he has fold equity.
  • _obv_ wrote: »
    This guy is raising most hands in late position so AQ is miles ahead of his range. AQ is not the type of hand you want to call and see a flop with against this type of opponent with this stack size.

I think making a standard reraise here is better than shoving. He could interpret the reraise 2 ways. The first as a sign of real strength meaning you could get him to fold some hands you are racing against that he would call a shove with. He may also see the reraise as you trying to make a move and leaving yourself with a decent stack if you get shoved on in which case he may 4 bet shove with a pretty wide range thinking he has fold equity.
    You say a standard reraise is the right play, then you explain how you gain no information from it. Nice.

I snap shove his original raise. A standard reraise leaves you 7k playing a 7k pot if he calls.

The only other decent line I can see is a stop n go. Flat the raise and fire at any flop.

/g2
  • you arent reraising to gain information... you are reraising to get him to do something stupid... which is what happened in this hand.
  • -ev wrote: »
    Reraising is the high-variance, donkey play. Poooooooooooosh!
    Re-raising is the +EV correct play. -ev, you need to be more concerned about making +EV decisions than variance. As long as I am adequately bankrolled to play in a lot more tournaments, I will always try to choose the action that I think will maximize EV, regardless of the variance. Embrace the variance! :)
  • This is exactly the conversation I was looking for when I posted this hand!

No clear winner yet.
    Re-raising is the +EV correct play. -ev, you need to be more concerned about making +EV decisions than variance. As long as I am adequately bankrolled to play in a lot more tournaments, I will always try to choose the action that I think will maximize EV, regardless of the variance. Embrace the variance! :)
    Cash game - mostly yes. Tournament - noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

You are out of position with a good but not great hand. If you re-raise and he pushes, you have to call. If he smooth calls, are you gonna push when you miss the flop?

Your stack is at that delicate stage. Not big enough to get away from a re-re-raise. Keep it simple and push. You get greedy, you go home.
  • Passive gameplay sucks in all situations whether it be an mtt or a cash game...Most of you guys would have a heart attack watching me play now...Sick shit...