What would you have done?

Bubble situation in yesterdays Bristol, 6 players left, pay top 5. Blinds are 600-1200 and antes are 200. I just doubled up the hand before and have around 20,000 chips.
Folded around to me the dealer and I pick up pocket Queens. I raise to 5000.
Waltsfriend Sandy is the small blind and she calls. She has more chips than I do. Big blind folds.

Flop comes A-K-rag. She checks. I check while swearing under my breath.
Turn is another rag. She checks and I check.
River is a 10. She bets 5,000 and I fold.

Turns out she had pocket 10's. What would you have done post flop if you were me? I had originally put her on an A-9 type hand, that's why I didn't bet. Thinking I should have bet around 7,000 after the flop to see where I was at but I didn't want to short stack myself again if she had me.

Comments

• I would have checked the flop also, but after the check on the turn would have at least fired out a bet, or at least just called the bet on the river.
  • Bet the flop, represent the ace. Call? Then check/fold.
  • BBC Z wrote: »
    Bet the flop, represent the ace. Call? Then check/fold.

Same... you bet a decent amount pre-flop representing a strong hand. She checked it to you (opening the door for a bet). Even if she has a marginal Ax it still makes it harder for her to call. If she had a strong AX preflop she prob would have raised. Even if you bet 8k on flop and she calls, you can still get out of the hand with chips left to keep playing.
  • Anyone shove preflop and makes it look like a button steal? Just a thought...
  • Raise smaller preflop... 3200 will do... it will make the rest of the hand much easier
  • westside8 wrote: »
    Anyone shove preflop and makes it look like a button steal? Just a thought...

The problem with push monkeying with that large an M is that you are likelier to get mediocre hands later on when your M starts to shrink. Players will think that you are just bullying them around and open their calling standards to your future pushes, making it more likely that you will get your money in as a coin flip.
  • Different players have different thoughts about mtt pf raises, but I tend to keep mine the same regardless of position and hand. What was the normal pf raise amount? Personally I don't normally see any point of 4x+ raises.
  • Definately put in a feeler bet on the flop, if you get called or raised....then you know you're probably behind.
  • I agree with _obv_

When you're short like this, both in number of players and your relative chips in play vs. blinds, smaller bets get the job done.

My play is something along the lines of

PF: Raise to 3600 - Villain still calls.
    Flop: Checked to me, I bet 4k into the 10-11ish k pot. I assume 1010 has to fold here. BBC then is right if I get called again, check / fold.

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    I agree with _obv_

When you're short like this, both in number of players and your relative chips in play vs. blinds, smaller bets get the job done.

My play is something along the lines of

PF: Raise to 3600 - Villain still calls.
    Flop: Checked to me, I bet 4k into the 10-11ish k pot. I assume 1010 has to fold here. BBC then is right if I get called again, check / fold.

Mark

Similar for me, I'll probably make it ~4K preflop since there are also 1200 in antes in there (and then fire 6K on the flop into ~11K.

I don't do that against every player there but from watching the way this hand was actually played, when you just doubled up and then fire a big bet like that pf you turned your hand face up with the flop check.
  • I don't know if my opinion matters here, but here was my thought process in this hand.

On the original raise value I almost folded my tens pre-flop. I was out of position and unsure of where I stood. The blind levels made every decision more critical. However, the fact that it was a short table made me decide to call. I also considered reraising all-in pre-flop; however I felt I had enough chips to make the call and play post-flop. A smaller raise pre-flop would have made it much easier for me to make the original call and fold to a continuation bet post-flop.

I would never have made the pre-flop call of the original raise with ace-rag. I would hate to play that hand out of position. I was pretty comfortable with my chip count at that point.

On the flop I was ready to fold. When Dave didn't bet the flop, I was pretty sure he was scared of the A-K on the board. I considered pushing on the turn, but in case he had slow played a really big hand, there was no play except all-in and I didn't want to risk the chip swing at that point.

I did get lucky on the river and hit my set. I think that Dave overestimated his original stack size. I believe I asked you for a count and you had closer to $12 000 after the original raise. There is not much betting room post-flop with the given pot size and money behind, because he is pot-committed in my opinion. A smaller pre-flop bet may have avoided that situation.
  • yes, I think its a great play...