Strange HU SnG

Decided to play a HU match since my other SnG was moving quite slowly. This was strange, not really sure what to do. Can you really make a buck by just shoving? Does every match boil down to a flip anyway? I removed the buyin amount since that shouldn't factor into the decision. To save the suspense, result in white. WWYD?

QUEENSPOK said, "all in first hand?"
JollietJake said, "lol, maybe"

PokerStars Game #16614973233: Tournament #84150592,
Hold'em No Limit - Match Round I, Level I (10/20) - 2008/04/09 - 22:12:19 (ET)
Table '84150592 1' 2-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: QUEENSPOK (1500 in chips)
Seat 2: JollietJake (1500 in chips)
QUEENSPOK: posts small blind 10
JollietJake: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to JollietJake [8d As]
QUEENSPOK: raises 1480 to 1500 and is all-in
JollietJake: calls 1480 and is all-in
*** FLOP *** [7h 4h 8s]
*** TURN *** [7h 4h 8s] [5s]
*** RIVER *** [7h 4h 8s 5s] [5d]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
JollietJake: shows [8d As] (two pair, Eights and Fives)
QUEENSPOK: shows [3s Kh] (a pair of Fives)
JollietJake collected 3000 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 3000 | Rake 0
Board [7h 4h 8s 5s 5d]
Seat 1: QUEENSPOK (button) (small blind) showed [3s Kh] and lost with a pair of Fives
Seat 2: JollietJake (big blind) showed [8d As] and won (3000) with two pair, Eights and Fives

Comments

• I see no advantage to calling the all-in 1st hand with A-8.. If I am playing a push bot I just let him steal a few small blinds then call him when I have a real hand. Now if I have someone at a 2-1 chip disadvantage, then I'll take a flip if I think that's what it is.
  • Maybe you are getting angle shot but I would probably get it in with this hand in this situation.
  • cadillac wrote: »
    Maybe you are getting angle shot but I would probably get it in with this hand in this situation.

It looks to me like they guy figured you were either 1 of two type of people... the kind that will throw away everything but absolute premium hands here, or somebody who would completely gamble on anything.

Which means he must have figured that he's going to either -> steal the first blind, and look like a complete lunatic (which might pay off later), or -> he's going to be in a race with somebody who was willing to gamble with a medium-to-good hand.

I would definitely fold there unless I had any PP, or a-10 or higher. The Ace-8 would be just below what I would of considered callable.

Just out of curiousity was this a less than $3 buy in tourney? Might explain the guys lack of fondness to his money. :)
  • I assume you are getting angle shot, and it's not a bad one. Every HUSnG villian asks all-in 1st hand.. but only does it with the goods.
  • BBC Z wrote: »
    I assume you are getting angle shot, and it's not a bad one. Every HUSnG villian asks all-in 1st hand.. but only does it with the goods.

Thinking about it longer, this is probably the truth and there are a lot of hands he wouldn't have pushed with.
    CanadaDave wrote:
    Just out of curiousity was this a less than $3 buy in tourney? Might explain the guys lack of fondness to his money. :smilie:

Yes, it was a $2 one, as I said in the OP I was bored with my other game and looking for a little side action.

The part that still baffles me - if you are going to gambooool anyway, why not just go to a site that has blackjack or something and try to get a quick double up there. Beyond the odds/result/etc I am curious to the motive. Especially for the low buy-in, I just don't get the reason why someone would do this.
  • The part that still baffles me ... Especially for the low buy-in, I just don't get the reason why someone would do this.

Maybe he is a playmoney player who has recently graduated to real money.. and thinks this is the proper way to play poker? :?
  • The part that still baffles me - if you are going to gambooool anyway, why not just go to a site that has blackjack or something and try to get a quick double up there. Beyond the odds/result/etc I am curious to the motive. Especially for the low buy-in, I just don't get the reason why someone would do this.

To F with people obviously.

I've posted before that I will sometimes open a $1.20 SNG and open jam every hand til I busto. It is worth it just to see people go off in chat and to bust someone's AQ with 64o. =D
  • Especially for the low buy-in, I just don't get the reason why someone would do this.

Because sometimes when you drop a penny, you don't bother to pick it up.
  • Still a good fold, imo,

You're always going to have to sit with some maniac who loves to push with any 2 cards(especially the euros), play $10 or higher and they will slow down and actually see a flop.

It was probably villian's last 3-4 bucks on the site and at that point they just don't care.

cheers
  • I've met guys like this and I love them!!!

I play a lot of $2 HUSnG's - at least 2 a day, and I can say that I want people to be like this. I seem to do better when I am loose in SnG's and steal some blinds and play with my opponent, but when you're playing against a guy that keeps the all-in going, it's an easy beat.

From my experience, they will go all-in with any A, which probably isn't the worst strategy in the world. I just sit back and wait for a good hand and then turn around and put them all in. Usually I'll try to see a flop with the good hand and re-raise the guy. He will feel a need to call. I'll then double up and play the way he was just playing with me and win. That happens probably 80% of the time against this type of player.

However, this guy might be one of the 'first hand all-in' guys. I have noticed that sometimes the other player will call an all-in right off the bat, and then start playing poker. I think this is so he can get a read on you. He probably calls all-in when he's got a hand that is a >50% favourite from the start. I'll only call if I am 80% or greater from the start.

I also want to say that I love heads up because of things like this!! It's great!! So much action when you are bored! Sometimes I can sit there and play MTT or STT for hours on end, but sometimes I just need more! That's when heads up is the choice. I'm actually thinking of devoting most of my time to heads up.
  • Thinking about it longer, this is probably the truth and there are a lot of hands he wouldn't have pushed with.

If he went all in with K3, then he is just a gambler, personally I think he was going all in with anything other than 72 maybe, who knows this guy doesnt care bottom line....u have to take advantage of this and not let it take advantage of you by making weak calls yourself, if youve played him or her before, find his or her range and call whenever u can. I would suggest folding with most hands, he will continue his aggressiveness in most cases later on throughout the match, wait for the preeems and trap this mofo, hope this helped

-Caesarspoker77:as:ah
  • I think it would depend if I was in the mood to gamble. If yes, then call.
  • Nice year old bump!