Bet - Raise - Now what...? (PLO)

Full Tilt Poker Game #7388355856: Table Ralph (deep 6) - $1/$2 - Pot Limit Omaha Hi - 20:33:20 ET - 2008/07/26
Seat 1: gluteus1 ($1,129.30)
Seat 2: Speedy1983 ($92)
Seat 3: IfeelLuckyFish ($221.80)
Seat 4: brbgraham ($156.90)
Seat 5: URMRFISH ($203)
Seat 6: KidPok3r_28 ($807.50)
Speedy1983 posts the small blind of $1
IfeelLuckyFish posts the big blind of $2
The button is in seat #1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to brbgraham [9d Qd As Js]
brbgraham calls $2
URMRFISH has 15 seconds left to act
URMRFISH raises to $9
KidPok3r_28 calls $9
gluteus1 folds
Speedy1983 folds
IfeelLuckyFish folds
brbgraham calls $7
*** FLOP *** [5h Qh Qs]
brbgraham checks
URMRFISH bets $20
KidPok3r_28 has 15 seconds left to act
KidPok3r_28 raises to $90

What is your play here? Not a whole lot of info about opponents, though I have seen KidPoker do something like this on a draw.

Spoiler:
brbgraham raises to $147.90, and is all in
URMRFISH folds
KidPok3r_28 calls $57.90
brbgraham shows [9d Qd As Js]
KidPok3r_28 shows [4s 5s 5c 7d]
*** TURN *** [5h Qh Qs] [Th]
*** RIVER *** [5h Qh Qs Th] [9h]
brbgraham shows a full house, Queens full of Nines
KidPok3r_28 shows a full house, Fives full of Queens
brbgraham wins the pot ($342.80) with a full house, Queens full of Nines
URMRFISH adds $200
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $345.80 | Rake $3
Board: [5h Qh Qs Th 9h]
Seat 1: gluteus1 (button) didn't bet (folded)
Seat 2: Speedy1983 (small blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 3: IfeelLuckyFish (big blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 4: brbgraham showed [9d Qd As Js] and won ($342.80) with a full house, Queens full of Nines
Seat 5: URMRFISH folded on the Flop
Seat 6: KidPok3r_28 showed [4s 5s 5c 7d] and lost with a full house, Fives full of Queens

Comments

• just calling here is dumb. if you jam, i expect you are getting called anyway. worst case, you are getting freerolled by someone with a heart draw. or the guy could have 55 and be really bad, giving you, what, 23 outs for the win? lol...

any thoughts on reraising PF? your hand rates to be one of the best there.
  • Well after playing PLO (albeit at a lower level than this 10/25 cent) almost exclusively for the past 3 months, I think I have a pretty good handle on this hand. This hand is a typical one for why PLO is such a variance machine. It is essentially a coin flip after the flop. Greg you are right, 23 outs with one card to come is what the odds would be. On the flop Graham has the 9 outs to pair the board plus the case Q times 2 equals 20 outs for one draw plus the 3 more outs on the river for whatever card comes on the turn. I guess you could consider Grahams back door spade draw to be 1/2 out with that offset somewhat by ops heart draw tainted by the hearts that pair the board making Grahams boat. I play much tighter than Graham (big surprise here huh?) preflop, but once I hit big or have big draws I jam. Sometimes it doesn't work but mostly it does at my level. The ability to stomach big swings in PLO is crucial. Hopefully when I return to NLHE this preparation will help me not be so weak tight... ;)

edit, just looked at this again, assuming op is not just betting with a flush draw on a paired board or air bluffing, (suicide in PLO), then he must have 55 or a worse Q. If he has 55 then you only have 7 outs on the flop times 2, plus the 3 outs for your turn card equals 17 outs, so you would expect to be less than a 50/50 favorite on the flop, maybe 40/60? I agree calling is not an option, it's either jam or fold. I jam, hoping I'm up against a flush draw (stupid) or worse Q, or I suck out for better boat.
  • Agreed....calling is not an option. If I don't have any intel on the raising playing, I fold here. Only 3 options for his hand for most players....55, Q5, or AQ.....2 of 3 you're behind....the other you're chopping. If I have any inclination he may be drawing I would push it......but most of the time I fold here.
  • FWIW,

I don't think calling here is all that dumb.

Mark
  • You also have to think that it is kinda weird for someone to call a big raise with 55 pre-flop. This is a good example of why small pocket pairs are so dangerous in Omaha.
  • this is an unfriendly board to make a play at for kid. He has to be stabbing at it with something imo.

I was wrong in my assumption though after reading the spoiler. My initial impression was a bum Q with a freeroll to the flush. Liked the play, good result.