Basic Hi/Lo Strategy

So I've only been playing Omaha for about 10 days, but I've dealt about 20 hours a week for 9 months at a high limit game. Seems to me that hands play theirselves after the flop. Preflop is where you lose most of your money. I have a simple strategy for judging if I should play a hand through. If it's got 3 cards 5 or lower, I call. if it has 3 ways to draw the nuts, (i.e. A2S KQoff) I bet or call one bet. if it has 4 ways to win, I raise (i.e. A2S KQC) if it has two ways to to draw nuts i limp (I.E. A3 KK off). Is this strategy going to get me past .25/.50? I've been having a LOT of luck at levels lower then this with this simple strategy. I'm up in $.25/$.50 as well, although i'm not killing the game like i was .10/.20

so now it is time to tell me i'm a shitty omaha player, and how to get better at the game. What's the best piece of literature on PLO8? And what words of wisdom can you guys give me when it comes to micro limit PLO8?

Comments

• aj10101 wrote: »
    Preflop is where you lose most of your money.

Can't say I agree with this statement at all. No other game changes so fast as OHiLo in my opinion. The make or break point is the turn. Knowing what to play preflop helps, and your system looks okay for the most part.

If you want something quick and easy to increase your level, google Hutchinson's Omaha ranking system. There's one for High, and HiLo. Its a pretty good start to what to play, what to call, what to raise with, what to go broke on (and you will go broke playing OHiLo faster than any other game).

Just remember donkeys still graze the low level Omaha games, and they get just as lucky at it as they do NLHE. But its a hoot watching them over play their pocket pairs, or playing buried trips and wonder how they lost.
  • one thing i learned from dealing so much hi limit omaha hi/lo is how to see what the nut and 2nd nut and 3rd nut and so on hands where. I think you are right about most people losing most money on the turn. I believe my weakness is in preflop play. the turn is where I decide if I'm ahead or not, and most of the time I'm right on with my decisions at that point.

Thanks for the suggested reading. i'll search it right now.

Please keep the replies coming, any advice or criticism is more then welcome.