just lucky or...??

Not sure if I played this correctly or not...new to Omaha..besides the result, was I wrong for the push?

Full Tilt Poker Game #11469581745: $6 + $0.50 Sit & Go (Turbo) (86148081), Table 1 - 20/40 - Pot Limit Omaha Hi - 14:53:34 ET - 2009/04/02
Seat 1: JRoberts71 (1,280)
Seat 2: pokered28 (1,150)
Seat 3: Bcboy72 (1,355)
Seat 4: Dutch Ice Man (1,430)
Seat 5: call_im_blfin (1,855)
Seat 6: hammerdhank (1,930)
call_im_blfin posts the small blind of 20
hammerdhank posts the big blind of 40
The button is in seat #4
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Bcboy72 [8d 5c 8h Ac]
JRoberts71 calls 40
pokered28 calls 40
Bcboy72 calls 40
Dutch Ice Man folds
call_im_blfin raises to 140
hammerdhank has 15 seconds left to act
hammerdhank folds
JRoberts71 calls 100
pokered28 calls 100
Bcboy72 calls 100
*** FLOP *** [9h 8c 3c]
call_im_blfin bets 600
JRoberts71 folds
pokered28 folds
Bcboy72 raises to 1,215, and is all in
call_im_blfin calls 615
Bcboy72 shows [8d 5c 8h Ac]
call_im_blfin shows [8s Jh Js Tc]
*** TURN *** [9h 8c 3c] [2c]
*** RIVER *** [9h 8c 3c 2c] [4h]
Bcboy72 shows a flush, Ace high
call_im_blfin shows a pair of Jacks
Bcboy72 wins the pot (3,030) with a flush, Ace high
The blinds are now 25/50
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 3,030 | Rake 0
Board: [9h 8c 3c 2c 4h]
Seat 1: JRoberts71 folded on the Flop
Seat 2: pokered28 folded on the Flop
Seat 3: Bcboy72 showed [8d 5c 8h Ac] and won (3,030) with a flush, Ace high
Seat 4: Dutch Ice Man (button) didn't bet (folded)
Seat 5: call_im_blfin (small blind) showed [8s Jh Js Tc] and lost with a pair of Jacks
Seat 6: hammerdhank (big blind) folded before the Flop

Comments

• Obviously its not one of the greatest starting hands, but post flop you did everything right... definitely not wrong on the push... nice job!
  • While I understand it isn't near the best hand...Is that starting hand worth seeing a flop with, with those odds? 460 in the pot for me to call 100..
  • While I understand it isn't near the best hand...Is that starting hand worth seeing a flop with, with those odds? 460 in the pot for me to call 100..

Definitely, risk 100 to win like 600 I think it was, why not!... though if it had of gotten raised/re-raised after your 40 call, obviously you'd probably have to let it go.
  • well, it was raised to 140 after I called the 40...but two other callers in front of me..I thought it worth seeing the flop..guess I need to work more on my Omaha probabilities/%'s/odds..

doing ok though...2/2 in the money...1st in a 6buck, and 2nd in a 2buck..6 man tables. Working on my third game now..lol..thought I folded lots in NLHE..lol

I would've likely folded this one preflop, as hitting the flop is pretty slim with it.

That said.....this one really plays itself when someone is over-valueing their small overpair and small flush draw.
  • +1 on the fold pre. Regardless of odds, you're drawing to a set FTW, and thats about it.
  • Thanks for the input..I have started folding all those smaller pairs. Playing patient in this game seems to work very heavily in your favor...the last 9 man I played..I didn't play a hand for a long time..everyone knocked themselves out, and by the time I got a hand, I was in the money...lol

I am finding that I am enjoying the game, even at lower limits which is nice for the br..lol...folding lots of flushes and small boats.. 4/9 in the money now..

Ironically, I have even called a few people donkeys..lmao...
  • If the raiser is an extremely tight player I fold pre flop because odds are he has AAxx and your hand is pretty bad against that. If he is a wild player then I definitely call based on the likelihood of seeing a flop multi ways and you have a hand that is fairly easy to play post flop. Realistically a call is fine no matter what.

One thing that does indeed make your hand better is that your ace is suited with the non pair cards, so you are able to flop the nice trips with the nut flush draw like you did, which is pretty much ahead of everything except a freak hand like J1099 (you were a 3-1 favorite over your opponent who probably thought it was a great flop for him). If your hand was Ac8c8s5d that removes that flexibility and makes it an easier fold for me preflop in that spot.

Cliffnotes: preflop was fine, post flop was very standard - get it in as fast as humanly possible.