Stacking off too light?

Guy has a pretty easy call here, but for me I can see him playing an ace this way, as well as 88. Pretty sure he's 3 betting 9's on the button, at least that's what I'd do, but meh he's not me but I'm just wondering if my hand is good here often enough to make this move profitable....or if I should just be check calling this down.

PokerStars Game #28878826617: Hold'em No Limit ($0.02/$0.05) - 2009/06/01 17:39:35 ET
Table 'Matra III' 6-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: All_Mazev ($7.27 in chips)
Seat 2: TWINHEAD1282 ($1.28 in chips)
Seat 3: acidjunkies ($13.89 in chips)
Seat 4: Peter Tönne ($3.25 in chips)
Seat 5: Quinner777 ($4.54 in chips)
Seat 6: krityo03 ($5.93 in chips)
TWINHEAD1282: posts small blind $0.02
acidjunkies: posts big blind $0.05
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Quinner777 [7s 7d]
Peter Tönne: calls $0.05
Quinner777: raises $0.15 to $0.20
krityo03: folds
All_Mazev: calls $0.20
TWINHEAD1282: folds
acidjunkies: calls $0.15
Peter Tönne: calls $0.15
*** FLOP *** [Ks 3c Kh]
acidjunkies: checks
Peter Tönne: checks
Quinner777: checks
All_Mazev: bets $0.40
acidjunkies: folds
Peter Tönne: folds
Quinner777: calls $0.40
*** TURN *** [Ks 3c Kh] [Kd]
Quinner777: checks
All_Mazev: bets $0.65
Quinner777: raises $1 to $1.65
All_Mazev: calls $1
*** RIVER *** [Ks 3c Kh Kd] [7c]
Quinner777: bets $2.29 and is all-in
All_Mazev: calls $2.29
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Quinner777: shows [7s 7d] (a full house, Kings full of Sevens)
All_Mazev: shows [9s 9h] (a full house, Kings full of Nines)
All_Mazev collected $9.05 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $9.50 | Rake $0.45
Board [Ks 3c Kh Kd 7c]
Seat 1: All_Mazev (button) showed [9s 9h] and won ($9.05) with a full house, Kings full of Nines
Seat 2: TWINHEAD1282 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 3: acidjunkies (big blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 4: Peter Tönne folded on the Flop
Seat 5: Quinner777 showed [7s 7d] and lost with a full house, Kings full of Sevens
Seat 6: krityo03 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Comments

• I believe your edge is not profitable here. You are building a pot where the only thing you beat on the turn is a bluff once called. The villian will not be looking you up here with ace high or a smaller pair in many cases.

Also your checkraise on the turn kills you because now he knows for sure you don't have a K. As played I would check raise flop and then decide on the turn what to do based on the turn bet.

When you know you have the best hand you should be check raising the turn. When you think you have the best hand and need information either bet the flop or check raise it (if you want to get crafty)

Here you only have one pair and a lot of crap beats you. The 7 on the river just makes your hand uglier as it is a brick.

I think you should be practicing a lot more pot control and try not to build them so big just with one pair.
  • Also your checkraise on the turn kills you because now he knows for sure you don't have a K. As played I would check raise flop and then decide on the turn what to do based on the turn bet.

This. Why?

This is what I've been struggling with lately it seems like most of my posts are geared towards it somehow. I don't see how betting the flop gives me really any information. Couldn't he,

a) Call with air, and try to take away on the turn?
    b) Call with the type of hand that he has and see what happens on subsequent streets?
    c) Call with a smaller pocket pair?
    d) Call because his King turned a MONSTER?

So now he calls with any of these four possibilities and I don't see how I can avoid paying off either a better hand or not getting enough value out of the hand I do have. I beat 2/4 possibilities and lose to the other 2. I know I shouldn't go blindly firing away when I am dominated by a couple hands. But thinking of what his possible holdings are: 99, 88, or a King beats me. Thats all thats in his range that beats me (on the turn). So really I'm thinking to myself well I'm ahead of 90% of his possible holdings, ship it!!

...I hate playing out of position.
  • I think this is one of those situations where anyone with a pp is going to think they have the best of it, at least at this limit. There's no way anyone would buy you for having that K, so any pair is calling you down. Good way for you to play that hand if you do hit the quads though :D
  • Quinner wrote: »
    This. Why?

This is what I've been struggling with lately it seems like most of my posts are geared towards it somehow. I don't see how betting the flop gives me really any information. Couldn't he,

a) Call with air, and try to take away on the turn?
    b) Call with the type of hand that he has and see what happens on subsequent streets?
    c) Call with a smaller pocket pair?
    d) Call because his King turned a MONSTER?

So now he calls with any of these four possibilities and I don't see how I can avoid paying off either a better hand or not getting enough value out of the hand I do have. I beat 2/4 possibilities and lose to the other 2. I know I shouldn't go blindly firing away when I am dominated by a couple hands. But thinking of what his possible holdings are: 99, 88, or a King beats me. Thats all thats in his range that beats me (on the turn). So really I'm thinking to myself well I'm ahead of 90% of his possible holdings, ship it!!

You also have to keep in mind although you want to try to play every hand as optiumly as possible, sometimes it just isn't the case. Especially in this situation. Due to the nature of your hand and the texture of the board you are either way ahead or way behind.

I just don't feel comfortable re-raising with 77 in this spot especially after villian has bet 2 streets and called your raise in position. Things don't add up in my books and I would play this hand really passive and hope for a cheap show down.
  • Quinner wrote: »
    I know I shouldn't go blindly firing away when I am dominated by a couple hands. But thinking of what his possible holdings are: 99, 88, or a King beats me. Thats all thats in his range that beats me (on the turn). So really I'm thinking to myself well I'm ahead of 90% of his possible holdings, ship it!!

I'm wondering how you narrowed him down to 99, 88, or a King as the only hands that beat you?

His preflop button call to 1 4x raiser could have him anywhere from what you've stated to concealing a monster up to aces as far as I can tell... I don't know your read on him though...

Check call is the play here for me. I don't really mind your turn re-raise, though - to either knock him off overcards/small pp or have him reveal his KKK(K)s by a raise or call/river bet.

On the river I don't like the bet because of his range and the fact that your turn raise should have knocked him off most of the hands you beat. Check the river, he is unlikely to bet river unless he has the King, AAs or QQs though, at which point you have a decision. This is where the player history and read would come in.
  • You have KKK777. This is a Yacht.

Yacht > boat IMO
  • Take the time to make your post readable - an unconverted hand history certainly is not - and I will take the time to give you advice.