Did I make the right call?

64 people NLH, down to the final three. Blinds were 5000/10000 with a 1000 ante. I had 122,000 chips, player two had 110,000 and player three had 34,000.

Player three folds.

Player two, small blind, goes all-in for the third time in 5 hands.

I have 11,000 committed with big blind and look down at :9s :9d. I put him on two overs -- AK, KQ, AQ, AJ... definitely not a pocket pair. I call.

He shows :jh :qd

Flop comes :8h :3s :5s

Turn comes :as

River comes :jc

Did I make the right move by calling? My buddy claims he would've folded, even if he had pocket kings, hoping to squeeze out the short stack. But I find no honor in that logic.

Comments

• I'd rather be pushing with the 9s then calling. 3 all ins in a row is annoying, but the right play is probably to fold and be the one pushing, but given what you put him on it was essentially a coin flip. With the blinds creeping up though you will have to take a chance eventually and I think the 9s is a decent attempt. Unlucky he hit though.
  • Pay out will make a huge difference in this situation - please include that info.
  • If he's shoving that many hands your nines are way ahead of his range I'd say, my money would be in the pot in less than a second ._. he could easily have some cheesy Ax suited or 88s 77s 66s, maybe even lower pairs. With three people left how can you expect a better spot against a lag player?

Besides, you have little over 12 BB's and shouldn't be folding too much at this point. I say make your range read, make the call and flip for the 8:1 lead over the last guy who seems to have given up already. You're basically flipping for first, and some of the time you're even ahead or dominating him. I really think you crush his range of hands and should never be folding that, maybe other people have some logic behind folding that I don't see :S

(At this point I'd go as far as to say that I'd rather be calling with my nines than pushing them (though I'd push too for sure), since if I push I fold out a lot of the hands that I have beat like Ax or the lowest pairs)
  • lol? Yes, you made the right call. Are you sure this was a serious question?