Position in heads-up and three handed play

Hope this isn't too silly a question...

Since the button plays first in heads-up and three handed games how do you adjust your pre-flop play when holding the button and opponents have position on you? With what kind of holding do you limp, call or raise pre-flop on the button? And how does this affect your play when the board comes and you then gain position on opponents? Conversely, how do you handle the playing in the blinds in these games?

I find starting out of position pre-flop, then gaining position post-flop (or vice versa) a bit tricky and I'm not confident I'm using a proper approach. I'd love to read your thoughts on this!

Thank you!

Comments

• I'm not sure what you mean -- you always have position when you are the button.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you mean -- you always have position when you are the button.

In heads-up play or three-handed (at a table with only two or three players seated), you act first when on the button. If you raise on the button pre-flop you are acting first without any info. Essentially, three handed pre-flop, the button is UTG.

But I guess you're saying that makes no difference? ...
  • Threehanded I play fairly tight from the small blind (raising like A6s+ and fives+ throwing away most suited connectors) althogh I'll try to raise UTG more activly, when I'm playing heads up I'll play a wider range from the small blind since I have position and fold out a lot in the BB. If my opponent tries to exploit my generousity in the BB I start mixing in light 3bets =)

I'm not sure how to mix in limps though and I really don't do it much in either 3handed or HU situations
  • HU You act first from the button pre-flop. If you find an opponent who will not re-raise you pre-flop, you can raise any two cards here profitably.

His strategy against you raising really wide is to 3 bet you. If he doesn't do it enough you can easily fold all of your rags and get away cheap. If he does it too much you get to play bloated pots in position all day long. This is good for your bankroll!!!

3 handed is not much different. Button = $$$$$$
  • cadillac wrote: »
    HU You act first from the button pre-flop. If you find an opponent who will not re-raise you pre-flop, you can raise any two cards here profitably.

His strategy against you raising really wide is to 3 bet you. If he doesn't do it enough you can easily fold all of your rags and get away cheap. If he does it too much you get to play bloated pots in position all day long. This is good for your bankroll!!!

3 handed is not much different. Button = $$$$$$

Ok, this is roughly what I do. Somehow I was trying to convince myself it was reckless. But I've been winning consistently this way live.

You also answered a follow up question. How do you deal with wide range pre-flop raisers HU? Answer: Play back at 'em! Would you recommend this three or four handed? I ask because I play a regular short table with LAG. Four handed I've been raising scare flops and turns at him with relative success. I win big pots but I also have many big decisions and have to always read him perfectly to make big calls or big laydowns. Is there a lower risk tactic?