Tricky OOP spot.

This is based off an actual hand I played but It occurs so often now that I think I need to ask a general poker theory question on how to handle it. Basically I raised to 3X in the CO with 109s and BTN calls. Flop comes down 9d2d3s. I c-bet and get min-raised. I HATE this lol because most times he's just on a draw, possibly a pair and a flush draw or maybe he has a better nine? Or maybe he just thinks this missed my range and is raising to see if I'll just fold.

How do I proceed now? I'm fairly certain I'm ahead on this flop, but there's tons of cards I don't want to see on the turn or river, so I either try to re-raise and take it down now but I hate bloating the pot OOP, or I call and donk bet brick turns, or I fold. What should I be doing in situations like this against standard regular opponents at 25NL?

Ps. In the actual hand I opted for a re-raise to try to take him off his hand but he called and then I c/f the turn when the flush card came in.

Comments

• actually I find this type of hand comes up often as well. With suited connectors, I am looking to hit a flush or straight draw. I don't fall in love with top pair, shitty kicker as I find it just cost me money and I likely only have 3 outs. When I have another player raising into me, its hard to come over the top with limited outs. Hand plays a lot better with position as you can just check/call. Good question.
  • Quinner wrote: »
    This is based off an actual hand I played but It occurs so often now that I think I need to ask a general poker theory question on how to handle it. Basically I raised to 3X in the CO with 109s and BTN calls. Flop comes down 9d2d3s. I c-bet and get min-raised. I HATE this lol because most times he's just on a draw, possibly a pair and a flush draw or maybe he has a better nine? Or maybe he just thinks this missed my range and is raising to see if I'll just fold.

How do I proceed now? I'm fairly certain I'm ahead on this flop, but there's tons of cards I don't want to see on the turn or river, so I either try to re-raise and take it down now but I hate bloating the pot OOP, or I call and donk bet brick turns, or I fold. What should I be doing in situations like this against standard regular opponents at 25NL?

Ps. In the actual hand I opted for a re-raise to try to take him off his hand but he called and then I c/f the turn when the flush card came in.

i think the answer lies in the question. im not a cash game player but being outa position does this too you. negraneu is know for playin suited connectors but only in position.
  • I hate this spot so much. Nothing I hate more then being OOP, hitting TPNK then getting min raised.
    It really depends on your reads on the BU, but in general i think you played it fine. I would more elect for a smooth call on the flop however, as you know BU isn't folding.
    YOu gotta think of his ranges. What could he possibly be raising you with? Could be something like AdTd (2 overs + FD) etc, 4d5d, 5d6d, maybe A4-A5o, 22, 33, 99, maybe A9-89, pps 88-, or if he's a complete nit, a min raise bluff, but that seems unlikely.

As you can see we're not ahead of much. We're only beating 88-44, Flipping the combo draws (1-2 overs +FD, or SD-FD)
    If you held a stronger hand like 2 pair then id say a reraise is justified, cause you want more money in the pot. As it is, your hand is weak but might be ahead. Keep the pot small, play the great odds you're getting and see what comes on the turn. Either way I'd try to check this hand down and avoid putting any more money in the pot. If he bluffs you off, well good for him, but dont get married to your marginal hand, and don't build the pot for him.
    Either way, the diamond on the turn makes it an easy fold.
  • Without any good reads just fold. You don't wanna get valuetowned by J9. Most flush draws are flipping with you anyway so your really only ahead of air. If I have a read that player is doing this often, I may call and see what he does on the turn but I'm not happy about it because all i have is a weak pair and i'm oop.

If villain is doing this kinda thing habitually, then the adjustments you need to make are preflop and before you cbet flops. Tighten up preflop when you have a player like this on your left. I find it helps to get a little bit passive as well. If you checked the flop in this hand and villain stabbed at it I'm sure you'd feel comfortable about calling. That is because the pot is stay at a comortable size for your hand and not only that, villain's range is going to be super wide so the c/c is for value.