Blind Play

So playing out of the blinds is always going to be dangerous due to the position deficit. Upon reviewing the stats though I found it very surprising to find that my loses in the blinds were incredibly devastating to my bankroll (well budget...until I start winning).

I show a profit from most other positions but the blinds are a massive leak for me and I'm not sure it makes sense. Button and cut off are good, Highjack is where I make most of my $$ back.

Wonder if I am just calling too much as my raise % is only about 1/4 of the VPIP whereas for every other position it is way over 1/2 the time. Or maybe I over value the hands that hit lightly (like mid pair, etc.). Still trying to figure this out.

Is it normal to be a net loser out of the blinds? If so, what should you expect to be losing out of the blinds. in BB/100 hands.

Comments

• I've always read/heard that you should expect to lose or, at best, break even out of the blinds as you are stuck putting money in no matter what crappy cards you're dealt, whereas you get to chose to dump those same crappy cards in other positions.

Personally, I think I'm in the same boat. Find myself playing a lot of low connectors, suited or otherwise, figuring my opponent to be raising with something decent (pp, Ax,Kx) where I can nail him with 2 pair+. Unfortunately, hasn't been working lately so I think I need to rethink this myself.
  • Thanks. I think my biggest problem though is lack of aggression out of the blinds. Too much calling, not enough raising/folding.

I'm losing way too much cash out of the blinds. Have kicked up the aggression in the last day or two and that seems to be helping. Trying to claim more orphan flops when limped into. Just a small sample so far so no real conclusions to be drawn.

I think I just also really suck at post flop play. When I have a hand out of the cut off/button I can make money. But I'm not sure I'm maximizing the gains from position. Maybe a little too little FPS. Might need to mix up more CR and smooth calling with AA. Always afraid of the monster 6/4o that's waiting to crack me.
  • I have found that playing TAG out of the blinds is the way to go. I dont call suited connectors unless its multi-way, and hands like AQ I'm either folding or 3betting a late pos raiser. AJ-, KQ-, hands that are easily dominated Im usually folding unless its suited / multi way / cheap. Ill fold 55- unless I have good implied odds. It really depends on the action and where it comes from. I won't be calling lightly against early position raisers, but I won't hesitate to 3bet late pos raisers with moderate hands. From the blinds though, Im more interested in seeing cheap flops with solid drawing hands.
  • I think they just need a program that can voice the cards for them
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    I think they just need a program that can voice the cards for them

sorry mate, I don't follow your comment....
  • SuitedPair wrote: »
    sorry mate, I don't follow your comment....
    hint = thread title.
    Is it normal to be a net loser out of the blinds?

Definately. I dont think anyone can show long term profit from the blinds. Even in 6max.
  • compuease wrote: »
    hint = thread title.

damn I'm dense some times....this could explain the losses more than being in the blinds....
    damn I'm dense some times....this could explain the losses more than being in the blinds....
    lol... POTM
  • Hey I'm new here but I'm Canadian and just found this forum today so I'll chime in here.

I'm assuming OP is talking about microstakes here? A lot of people struggle in the blinds and you can't expect to show a profit from even the small blind long term, unless its HU cash :) What your goal should be is to minimize the losses and make some of the money back that you are forced to post. Check your BB/hand rate in PT3 or HEM. If you are making back half the money that you post I think that is pretty good.
    Here are some quick ways/things to think about to improve your bottom line from the blinds:

1) Fold more. So many people flat against steals or early/mid position raises with small pocket pairs and suited connectors. Stop doing it, especially if your going to be playing fit or fold. These hands play well in position because you have fold equity and/or implied odds and the power of position. When your oop it is much more difficult to build big pots and keep your opponent interested in the hand. Its also tough oop to play draws. I'm not saying you can't ever play these hands but don't expect to get paid against a guy with a 30% attempt to steal unless he's a complete donk.

2) Start 3betting more preflop. Don't get too carried away but instead of flatting some of those suited connectors and pp's try 3betting them against the right opponents who have a fold button. If your not sure about their tendencies however, folding is your friend.

3) Steal like its your job. When it's folded around to you in the SB you can steal against most players a huge percentage of the time. If they call, you can often take it down with a cbet. Same goes for when the SB limps in to your BB. I usually raise with any 2 against most player types in that spot.

4) Watch for weak limpers that will fold to a raise pre or often give up on the flop and start raising them out. Broadway type hands are especially good for this because they hit top pair so often and you'll often be dominating the limpers range.

5) Take stabs at limped pots with your draws and pairs.