Omaha >><< Hold 'em

Is it possible to be a decent Omaha player without also being a decent Hold 'em player? Or is it simply easier to win at Omaha because so many people treat it like 4-card HE? Just curious for everyone's thoughts . . .

Comments

• I play PLO on a regular basis, I find that the low stakes omaha players are very weak...I enjoy omaha because it creates more action instead of waiting for KK or AA in holdem. I consider myself decent at both games tho.
  • Many holdem players are terrible at PLO for some reason...I'm pretty good at both but much prefer PLO because so many more spots are profitable. I think a winning NLH player should easily transition to PLO, but a break-even NLH player will lose at PLO because you are playing many more hands and it is to some extend less of a preflop game and much more of a flop game. 5-20bb/100hands (yes, 20 at lower limits) is definitely attainable multitabling PLO (I play 6 right now) whereas even the lower-end of profit is nowhere near attainable any longer in the nitfest that are NLH games online.
  • Thanks GTA, this is what I am getting at, and why I hoped you'd respond, as I know you've been playing mostly Omaha for a while. I am playing limit Omaha while I try to build my BR (0.50/1.00), and have doubled my BR in a week. I recognize I will be heading for the inevitable variance downswing at some point, but I am enjoying the game.

Basically I am playing a fairly tight selection of starting hands (High Pairs, double suited, middle to high rundowns depending on position, no gappers above 1). If I lose 50% of my buy-in I go elsewhere, if I double up I stick around, but leave if I drop below 50% of my profit.

I'm only playing single tables right now. 6? No chance.
    Thoughts?
  • Milo wrote: »
    Thanks GTA, this is what I am getting at, and why I hoped you'd respond, as I know you've been playing mostly Omaha for a while. I am playing limit Omaha while I try to build my BR (0.50/1.00), and have doubled my BR in a week. I recognize I will be heading for the inevitable variance downswing at some point, but I am enjoying the game.

Basically I am playing a fairly tight selection of starting hands (High Pairs, double suited, middle to high rundowns depending on position, no gappers above 1). If I lose 50% of my buy-in I go elsewhere, if I double up I stick around, but leave if I drop below 50% of my profit.

Thoughts?

I've never played limit omaha other than the occasional 20/40 session at Port Perry (have played tonnes of LO8). If you are playing full ring then it really is different from PLO in that you are relying heavily on preflop hand selection. Basically only draw to nut flushes, don't overplay nut straights, dump non-nut straights in multiway pots, dump non-nut fullhouses with much action in multiway pots...you get the idea. Preflop you want all of your cards working together -- 1 gap hands or runs without gaps preflop single or double suited (9875, 9876 etc), QQ+ with active sidecards, don't overvalue bad aces preflop multiways, etc, etc...I'm tired but if you have any specific questions let me know.

Edit -- free advice will require more pics of your car
  • Nice try, you can get all the pix you want of my Cube off the web. I have the Slotboom book as well as Hwang's (sp?), so I have a fairly good idea of what constitutes strength PF. I have also heard of some sort of points system for hand strength. You know anything about that? It may be tourney related, not sure. Thanks for the info. regardless.
  • Milo, I assume you've had a look at the PLO sticky at the beginning of this section. Shouldn't be much different than that.
  • *blushes* Actually, no . . . me sorry. :-[
  • compuease wrote: »
    Milo, I assume you've had a look at the PLO sticky at the beginning of this section. Shouldn't be much different than that.

I didn't see the sticky either -- there is some good advice and some utter useless and incorrect crap in that post:)
  • Still going to read it all, but from what I skimmed, I think I am on the right track. I may be costing myself $$$ in good situations by leaving early, but I am prepared to live with that, for now. Thanks, guys.
  • Hutchinson point system is what you`re thinking of Milo

Mark
  • Thanks Mark. Before I go google it, does it apply to cash, or tourneys, or both.
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    Hutchinson point system is what you`re thinking of Milo

Mark

Omaha
  • Hobbes wrote: »

common sense should get you further than this
  • Has anybody else noticed the same thing for PLO tournaments? When I'm not multi-tabling too many NLHE tourneys, I've been trying some PLO tourneys. Even though I only know a tiny fraction of Omaha strategies compared to NLHE, my ROI, ITM and first place percentages are higher in Omaha! If I ever find the time to read another poker book, I think it should be an Omaha book.
    GTA Poker wrote: »
    definitely attainable multitabling PLO (I play 6 right now) whereas even the lower-end of profit is nowhere near attainable any longer in the nitfest that are NLH games online.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    Has anybody else noticed the same thing for PLO tournaments? When I'm not multi-tabling too many NLHE tourneys, I've been trying some PLO tourneys. Even though I only know a tiny fraction of Omaha strategies compared to NLHE, my ROI, ITM and first place percentages are higher in Omaha! If I ever find the time to read another poker book, I think it should be an Omaha book.

I don't enjoy MTTs, but basic strategy will get you a very high ROI (mine is over 100% from when I used to play them) in PLO MTTs ranging from $5-$20 buy-ins. I never played much higher so I can't comment above that, but once I am back to playing full part-time poker again I may take some shots at the weekly $215s on Stars. Later in MTTs with low M starting hands become more important.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Is it possible to be a decent Omaha player without also being a decent Hold 'em player? Or is it simply easier to win at Omaha because so many people treat it like 4-card HE? Just curious for everyone's thoughts . . .

its definitely possible to be a decent omaha player without being remotely good at holdem. proficiency in one in now way guarantees proficiency in the other.
    schabs wrote: »
    I play PLO on a regular basis, I find that the low stakes omaha players are very weak.

thats why its the "low stakes" omaha. this is true of pretty much ALL low stakes games, the play is generally bad because thats the kind of player low stakes attracts.
    GTA Poker wrote: »
    I think a winning NLH player should easily transition to PLO, but a break-even NLH player will lose at PLO

i would agree with this but would add the caveat that its not because one game prepares you better for the other, i just feel that amongst similar stakes, the PLO games are probably softer in comparison to HE games.
  • A friend of mine is a solid NLHE player but a much better PLO player - at least compared to the online players he faces. Last I checked, he barely plays NLHE online anymore (except private games against friends, and B&M home games).
  • So thanks to the royal cup, I may try and get into omaha now, I have been thinking of going into a new game since I am losing motivation in hold em,lol

Should I get the free trial of omaha manager? If so what stats would you use for Omaha?

I am just starting out with high only.

Just played on full tilt, (only .01/.02 cent)was crushing the table up almost 3 buy in's but started to go bad(just like yesterday at the royal :)) so I left with just over double my money,lol.
  • With the mirco tables all you have to do is get the nuts and pound the pot. Donkies will chase a flush on a paired board all day. EZ game.

You'll also find that with PLO you are always looking for what the nut hand is, which will make your NL game sharper.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    With the mirco tables all you have to do is get the nuts and pound the pot. Donkies will chase a flush on a paired board all day. EZ game.

You'll also find that with PLO you are always looking for what the nut hand is, which will make your NL game sharper.

went to another table, it went bad, just tried stars almost doubled my buy in again so ya just got to pay attention to what the best hand is. :)