NL-Omaha heads up questions

a co-worker and I are going to switch to no limit omaha for a change tomorrow. I haven't played it before..Are there any sure fire basic HU strategies to employ? Anything I should avoid like the plague? I know range must be opened up when HU, so other than an unpaired rainbow hand, i can't think of anything I should fold pre?

Comments

• Don't fold anything pre unless he raises stupid.

Omaha is a post-flop game..... I would keep the raising to 2.5x at MOST preflop without a sick hand, and then pwn him post.

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    Don't fold anything pre unless he raises stupid.

Mark

100% disagree.

While Omaha is more of a post flop game, your starting hand can and will dictate a lot of how you play.

I mean, I am never called a raise with a hand like k934 1 suit. And I am raising most hands like 67910ss. Hands like jj74 are garbage most times come the river.

Omaha is a game of the nuts. You should only be in the hand if you have the nuts or a draw to the nuts. Because a lot of the times, if you don't have it, someone else does. 1 pair isn't going to win very often. 2 pair only sometimes in heads up.

Another thing is bet your hand. Generally in omaha the opponent can catch up a lot if you give them free cards. Hence why the variance of game is so high.
  • HammerDad wrote: »
    ...Hence why the variance of game is so high.

Hence, the game is usually played Pot Limit rather than No Limit.
    100% disagree.

While Omaha is more of a post flop game, your starting hand can and will dictate a lot of how you play.

I mean, I am never called a raise with a hand like k934 1 suit. And I am raising most hands like 67910ss. Hands like jj74 are garbage most times come the river.

Omaha is a game of the nuts. You should only be in the hand if you have the nuts or a draw to the nuts. Because a lot of the times, if you don't have it, someone else does. 1 pair isn't going to win very often. 2 pair only sometimes in heads up.

Another thing is bet your hand. Generally in omaha the opponent can catch up a lot if you give them free cards. Hence why the variance of game is so high.

This can be a true statement for full ring or 6-handed, but certainly not HU. 2-handed, neither player is likely to hold nuts....value can be gained by betting hands you would never bet full ring.

I'm pretty much an any 4 card (in an unraised pot) when HU, and adjust my play post flop/turn/river.
  • T8urmoney wrote: »
    This can be a true statement for full ring or 6-handed, but certainly not HU. 2-handed, neither player is likely to hold nuts....value can be gained by betting hands you would never bet full ring.

I'm pretty much an any 4 card (in an unraised pot) when HU, and adjust my play post flop/turn/river.

Yeah, I guess HU your range can expand. And unraised you will either have position which is huge in omaha or be the BB so your chips are in there already.

The problem starts when the villain raising and 3betting and using position. Position in omaha is a big deal.

When playing heads up I may play a wider range of hands, but that range will be when I am the botton and not from the BB. I mean, last thing I was to do is call a raise OOP with Ad10s7c3s have the flop come 1062 rainbow and have to jam it in there hoping I can crack an over pair or that villain doesn't have a hand like 987j, where he has huge equity.
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    Don't fold anything pre unless he raises stupid.

Omaha is a post-flop game..... I would keep the raising to 2.5x at MOST preflop without a sick hand, and then pwn him post.

Mark

that's bad advice...I'm too tired to get into this, but don't do this
  • 13CARDS wrote: »
    Hence, the game is usually played Pot Limit rather than No Limit.

very useful comment
    100% disagree.

also bad advice for NL HU
  • optimal strategy for HU PLO is going to vary greatly depending on who your dealing with. if your opponent is a neophyte, i would guess hes going to play too many hands. as a starting point, id say you should probably be playing about 50-70% of your hands. your average hand is going to be any double suited w/ some connectors or 3card run with one suit or medium/big pair with a suit.

some general tips...

- you dont have to bet the full pot. give some thought to your bet sizing.

- bet in position an overwhelming majority of the time...most beginner players dont c/r enough

- play your button very loosely, position is SOOOO important in this game.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    very useful comment

Ditto
    Ditto

please link to one useful post that you've ever made in any strategy section...do you ever play poker?
    please link to one useful post that you've ever made in any strategy section...do you ever play poker?

I've played live poker once in the last 14 months. Thanks for asking.

Why must I post in the strat sections?
    Why must I post in the strat sections?

my point exactly
  • Playing omaha HU NL is interesting. I would only play that game heads up.

Different strategy in NL omaha, for examble double suited hole cards hold great value, even better if they are connecters.

Good luck.
  • The Omaha is going so so. We started playing NL but because of the realities of big hands over big hands fairly often, and losing a game in 5 minutes, we bastardized it by setting a limit on the betting. Since we are both unclear on the rules of playing PL (which i will rectify tonight by locating the rules) we agreed that we could only bet 10 times the BB. I know I know, but we just wanted to try our hand at a different game.
    I think it will be a lot of fun once we have the rules of PLO down.

Thanks for the advice so far!
  • Just throwing it out there / thread hijacking...

13cards, you should sign up for the question week thing

Mark
  • Muddguts wrote: »
    The Omaha is going so so. We started playing NL but because of the realities of big hands over big hands fairly often, and losing a game in 5 minutes, we bastardized it by setting a limit on the betting. Since we are both unclear on the rules of playing PL (which i will rectify tonight by locating the rules) we agreed that we could only bet 10 times the BB. I know I know, but we just wanted to try our hand at a different game.
    I think it will be a lot of fun once we have the rules of PLO down.

Thanks for the advice so far!

You can only raise the size of the pot which, IN TOTAL, is 3 times the last bet plus any other money (the pot and any other bets).

Now, I don't want anyone saying I was right about the Pot Limit thang...