trying to learn omaha

i think i see why you guys like this game so much. just thought i'd practice some micro omaha cash. i'm still learning the game, but it's fun for sure.

PokerStars Game #69424446631: Omaha Pot Limit ($0.02/$0.05 USD) - 2011/10/23 17:44:00 ET
Table 'Vindobona IV' 6-max Seat #3 is the button
Seat 1: Hero ($4.40 in chips)
Seat 2: CO ($5.19 in chips)
Seat 3: Button ($9.04 in chips)
Seat 4: SB ($4.66 in chips)
Seat 5: BB ($5 in chips)
Seat 6: UTG ($2.27 in chips)
SB: posts small blind $0.02
BB: posts big blind $0.05
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [Kc Jc Qs 4s]
UTG: folds
Hero: raises $0.07 to $0.12
CO: folds
Button: calls $0.12
SB: folds
BB: folds
*** FLOP *** [Qh Jd Qd]
Hero: bets $0.10
Button: raises $0.50 to $0.60
Hero: raises $0.62 to $1.22
Button: raises $2.74 to $3.96
Hero: raises $0.32 to $4.28 and is all-in
Button: calls $0.32
*** TURN *** [Qh Jd Qd] [2c]
*** RIVER *** [Qh Jd Qd 2c] [7s]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Hero: shows [Kc Jc Qs 4s] (a full house, Queens full of Jacks)
Button: shows [Jh Ac 5s Js] (a full house, Jacks full of Queens)
Hero collected $8.43 from pot

Comments

• you flopped everything, shouldn't you play that a bit sloweR?
  • Richard~ wrote: »
    you flopped everything, shouldn't you play that a bit sloweR?

at this level i'd think his flop raise means he has a Q and he's not folding.

when he played back at me i knew he wasn't folding.
  • In before Drtyore trashes your starting hand selection. :)

No worries, nice hand.

I've found that playing mirco PLO really improved my NLHE reads. You get pretty good at reading the what the nut hand is and wether or not the V has it.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    In before Drtyore trashes your starting hand selection. :)

No worries, nice hand.

I've found that playing mirco PLO really improved my NLHE reads. You get pretty good at reading the what the nut hand is and wether or not the V has it.

i'm still learning hand selection in omaha. i thought this wasn't bad. also, i was playing fairly aggressive compared to my tighter opponents at the time.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    In before Drtyore trashes your starting hand selection. :)
    Not a bad hand. Limpable.

trigs wrote: »
    i'm still learning hand selection in omaha. i thought this wasn't bad. also, i was playing fairly aggressive compared to my tighter opponents at the time.

This will help keep you out of trouble while learning

OmahaSystem
  • He's playing 6 max. There's no open limping in 6 max. Raise away. Ignore the weak tighties ITT.

Also he needs to build the pot to the point where he or his opponent is allin on the turn. If button is on a draw there is no payoff on the river if he misses. Button did that for him with the 4 bet, after that the extra .32 shove is moot. Hero's 3 bet is a must, and you may notice he didn't even go pot. Ignore the people who don't understand pot limit betting ITT.
  • when villain is supposingly drawing dead he really shouldn't be raisecalling wraps or AQ here. The only hands that should give us action here are hands that hav us beat, hands we're chopping with and the exact hand he has. Our 3bet on this flop after this cheeseball cbet is quite strong
  • heh, i guess we have a few differences of opinion on this one.

thanks for the like hobbes.
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Not a bad hand. Limpable.

This will help keep you out of trouble while learning

OmahaSystem

you don't play omaha do you?
  • GTA Poker wrote: »

Maybe write a new strategy guide? :)PLO according to GTA would be a good title.

Also trigs, I assume you have seen this?

http://www.pokerforum.ca/f52/plo-strategy-14869/
  • compuease wrote: »
    Maybe write a new strategy guide? :)PLO according to GTA would be a good title.

Also trigs, I assume you have seen this?

http://www.pokerforum.ca/f52/plo-strategy-14869/

nits gonna nit:)
    when villain is supposingly drawing dead he really shouldn't be raisecalling wraps or AQ here. The only hands that should give us action here are hands that hav us beat, hands we're chopping with and the exact hand he has. Our 3bet on this flop after this cheeseball cbet is quite strong

Really?

There is no hand that has us beat. If we are chopping then we lose on the rake. Are you that nitty?

If villian has that exact hand then hero makes money any way he plays it. If villian has any other hand and hero flats on the flop then the pot is $1.51 and will not be allin on the turn. The villian is not going to suddenly fold the turn so getting to the river not allin can only cost the hero money if villian is drawing and misses.

Hero's 3 bet, makes the pot $2.75 if called, leaving him $1.91 to shove on the turn. Pretty much the exact right amount to get called if villian does not also have a boat.

BTW AKQcX with a diamond draw, not folding ever in 6 max, heads up, on this flop.

Any decent villian should be raising any Q, any wrap, any A or K diamond draw. If you are hero and don't have a boat, do you seriously flat the flop OOP and give your opponent a free card to draw out on you on the turn or do you 3 bet a much wider range of hands, other than the nuts? You want to spend your time nut peddling in 6 max PLO, go ahead and enjoy never getting paid on your big hands.

:bs:
  • AKQJ has us beat but the part where I said we get called by hands that beats us was obviously just to be thurow

I don't 3bet this flop wide, in villainst shoes I probably raisefold a lot of hands but I'd hate his play if he were to continue vs a 3bet with a wrap type hand. Maybe he'll continue with trips but by calling we're the ones repping a draw type hand which is why I expect villain not to check back the turn with any part of his range most of the time

Edit: if you wanna be superpicky we're technically behind AQJx since 6 max the probability of someone folding one of our k outs are greater than the probability of someone folding one of his a outs lol
  • moose wrote: »
    He's playing 6 max. There's no open limping in 6 max. Raise away. Ignore the weak tighties ITT.

Crap. I missed that.

Note to self: After working a 30+ weekend, do not respond to strat posts. :D
  • GTA Poker wrote: »

meh, it was a long weekend and my brain was mush.
  • @compuease: thanks for that link. haven't read it yet.

i appreciate the hand analysis. again, i'm totally a newb at omaha so as far as general strategy is concerned i will keep quiet.

however, in this specific hand, the table had been playing pretty tight. i was stealing big time and raising pre with everyone folding often or to a cbet. there had been no flop raises that i can recall by anyone prior to this hand. just a lot of passive play looking to chase. at the time, i was VERY sure that his flop raise meant he was not folding.
  • i'm assuming that my starting hand selection is poor. should i just be folding this to any raise? i figured it was worth it to see a flop at least.

PokerStars Game #69424923923: Omaha Pot Limit ($0.02/$0.05 USD) - 2011/10/23 17:53:34 ET
    Table 'Vindobona IV' 6-max Seat #5 is the button
    Seat 1: Hero ($8.53 in chips)
    Seat 2: UTG ($5.12 in chips)
    Seat 3: HJ ($4.16 in chips)
    Seat 4: CO ($4.54 in chips)
    Seat 5: Button ($5.12 in chips)
    Seat 6: SB ($2.37 in chips)
    SB: posts small blind $0.02
    Hero: posts big blind $0.05
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to Hero [5h 7h 9d 7c]
    UTG: raises $0.10 to $0.15
    HJ: folds
    CO: folds
    Button: folds
    SB: folds
    Hero: calls $0.10
    *** FLOP *** [2h Js 7d]
    Hero: bets $0.16
    UTG: calls $0.16
    *** TURN *** [2h Js 7d] [8c]
    Hero: bets $0.61
    UTG: calls $0.61
    *** RIVER *** [2h Js 7d 8c] [2c]
    Hero: bets $0.56
    UTG: calls $0.56
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    Hero: shows [5h 7h 9d 7c] (a full house, Sevens full of Deuces)
    UTG: shows [8h 8s Kh 5s] (a full house, Eights full of Deuces)
    UTG collected $2.84 from pot
  • hmmm. i knew i shouldn't have pushed my luck and asked for another hand analysis. it's always the quickest way to assure i won't get responses :(
  • looks fine if you're gonna play that. it's not very connected which is why I don't like it, and villain must really hate money to simply flat river
    looks fine if you're gonna play that. it's not very connected which is why I don't like it, and villain must really hate money to simply flat river

thanks richard.

see, i thought it was kind of connected. i guess not good enough. also, i have read that low pairs can be a big problem, so i'm assuming that the 7s are too low to consider worth playing. 9s and up maybe with decent connecting cards?

and yeah, i totally thought i had the hand won when he just called river. can't believe he didn't raise the third nuts. must have been giving me tons of respect (or more likely he's just not a good player).