omaha starting hands points question

thanks to hobbes for supplying me with this link.

however, i'm a little confused about the third step. it reads as follows:
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]THIRD, [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]when your hand contains cards capable of completing a straight it becomes more valuable. Therefore, If your cards contain no more than a three card gap, add the following points:
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]For FOUR cards, add 25 points
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]For THREE cards, add 18 points
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]For TWO cards, add 8 points
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]From these totals, subtract two points for each gap, up to a maximum of six points.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
there's also a part about Aces but ignore it for now. here's my issue:

say we're dealt: KQ97
since we have three cards with no more than 3 gaps (i.e. KQ9) we get (18 - 4 for 2 gaps =) 14 points.
now my question is, can i also use the 9 again for the 97 for another +6 points? i'm just not sure if i can use the same 9 again.

furthermore, if i am able to use the 9 again, am i only able to use it again because it's paired with another card that hasn't been used yet? the reason i'm asking this is because wouldn't i be able to use the KQ together again, as well as the K9 and Q9? or does +18 points take into consideration all possible two card combos within the 3 cards?

thanks for the help. the link just didn't explain it too well and i couldn't get it from the examples (especially since i'm convinced one of the examples on that page is dead wrong in its points tally).

Comments

• iirc the seven does not could as there are 3 cards (8/T/J) between the 7 and the Q. This calculation is used for wraps essentially.
  • Please do not use this hand ranking to play plo
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    Please do not use this hand ranking to play plo

why not?[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • GTA will tell you it is too conservative, too easy to counter, blah blah blah . . . all true for a more advanced player. Ya gotta start somewhere and, with Omaha, tighter is better when you are learning. My $0.02 . . .

And, iirc, you cannot add on for the 7.
  • thanks milo
  • Milo wrote: »
    GTA will tell you it is too conservative, too easy to counter, blah blah blah . . . all true for a more advanced player. Ya gotta start somewhere and, with Omaha, tighter is better when you are learning. My $0.02/$0.05 . . .

And, iirc, you cannot add on for the 7.

fyp

The points system will also help keep you from getting into too much trouble when learning. If you are playing 6max you'd need to open up more than suggested.
  • $0.02/$0.05?!? Hey, I've been on a small run lately, but I am not ready for those nosebleed stakes yet.
  • Much better off to watch a few basic videos.
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    fyp

The points system will also help keep you from getting into too much trouble when learning. If you are playing 6max you'd need to open up more than suggested.

yes, i have been keeping this in mind.
    Much better off to watch a few basic videos.

free videos?
  • You used to be able to sign up for deuces cracked for a week free trial, not sure but I'd check it out
    You used to be able to sign up for deuces cracked for a week free trial, not sure but I'd check it out

thanks.
  • Keep us posted, trigs.
  • GTA is clearly the best player that's ever lived.
  • Milo wrote: »
    Keep us posted, trigs.

deuces cracked does have some free videos i'll probably check out tomorrow. no time today.

EDIT: scratch that. videos are only 2 min. previews.