Best Online Poker site??

Hi - my first visit here. I'd like to play poker online but I don't want to download a lot of crap and unecessary cookies on my computer. I want to play free for a while as I am just learning. Can any of you recommend a site where I can learn with low risk? I'm in Ontario if that makes any difference. Thanks.

Comments

• You will get many different recommendations as there are many sites.
    Pokerstars has excellent free games. They offer free play on all kinds of different games (ring, sit and go, tourneys). (Holdem, Omaha and Stud)
    They also offer micro limit games to allow you to play for pennies and very little risk. You will find the free games are wild and crazy and that even the micro limit games make much more sense. Seems like people lose all sense when their is no real cash involved. The free Sit and Go's aren't bad once you get rid of the All-In maniacs in the first three hands. Then they calm down and people play a little more realistically.
    Good luck and have fun.

Edit*** I would just like to add that I did a complete scan on my system after installing both Pokerstars and PartyPoker and I did not find any Spyware or other Malware bundled. I think that is the norm with the big sites. They are in the business of poker (a mighty fine business at that) and not in targeting adds and datamining your computer. I think if you stick with the reputable sites you do not need to worry about getting any unwanted goodies installed to your computer.
  • Most websites make you download.

http://www.truepoker.com/

when you are up to speed,

http://www.tigergaming.com/
  • I am so pround of this forum for not trying to sneak an affiliate referral to this new player. :D
  • I understand PokerRoom has no download at all...I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for...I have never played there so I don't really know if it is any good.
  • None of the poker sites I've ever used have (to my knowledge) installed adware, spyware, etc on my machine.

Also, wouldn't web-based poker rooms be most likely to download cookies to your computer? It seems like the OP is quite averse to cookies.

The most irritating download (though it's not that bad) is Party, since they pepper your Windows menus with PartyPoker shortcuts, which you have no option to turn off. In fact, this peppering occurs every time a client update occurs, so this represents an inconvenience even if you remove such shortcuts manually. As I mentioned, no biggie, and I'd still recommend Party, or any other well-populated (as measured by www.pokerpulse.com) and well-established poker site.

Wow. This forum was smart enough to mot inlude that right paren in the hyperlink. [scratches ear] Good forum!

I've officially lost it.

ScottyZ
  • Hey guys,

This is a small site that is just building up steam. It is nice and friendly and has some great promotions for the WSOP.

http://www.checknraisepoker.com

CHEERS
This discussion has been closed.