Rake-free tournaments @Mississauga

Hello PFCers,

A new poker game in Mississauga, rake-free tournaments and cash games on Thursdays. It is at Shahriar Cultural Club on Eglinton and Tomken.

It is basically a place where people go and have fun, play dominos and backgammon, have dinner but some people had an interest of some poker.

It will be every Thursday, 100$ Freezout, 100% of the money goes to the Prize Pool, as well as 1/2 cash game after the tournament. Cards in the air at 8:00pm

I will be going there for the first time on Thursday May 1st and I'm spreading the word as many would be interested in a rake-free tournament and cash game in Mississauga.

It is self-dealt as it rake-free in a friendly environment.

Food and drinks will be available from the restaurant.

Please PM me for further details.

Comments

• Hate to be a downer but wonder how long it will last... Cash game raked?
  • maybe i'll go with buddy.

although, I can't find any info on this place. why doesn't the internet know about them?
  • compuease wrote: »
    Hate to be a downer but wonder how long it will last... Cash game raked?

Nope, the cash game is not raked either.
    pkrfce9 wrote: »
    maybe i'll go with buddy.

although, I can't find any info on this place. why doesn't the internet know about them?

Its a community cultural club for socializing that has been going for years, usually people go there to have dinner and play domino and backgammon and have a drink. Some guys wanted to play poker so they asked me to spread the word. They are mostly 40+ years old accomplished people that want to play for fun.

They don't have a website, but people just know each other and hang around over there. I think you can search it as "shahryar center"

I'll be going there tomorrow for the first time and I will be giving a review for people who are interested. Anyone can join tomorrow as well, Thursday 1st of May at 8:00pm 100$ freezout and 1/2 cash game after that rake-free.
  • Let me know how this is. Its literally around the corner from my house, so pretty convenient.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    Let me know how this is. Its literally around the corner from my house, so pretty convenient.

I will be going tomorrow, Will let you know!
  • Fuck buddy, I'm in! I'll meet you there. I found the place on 411.ca

tapatalk puts this here to annoy YOU
  • I have talked to buddy and he said he will be coming in the future. See you tomorrow sir!
  • Whoops . . . saw the buy-in. Need to play better first.
  • F Brampton too :)

• Milo wrote: »
    Whoops . . . saw the buy-in. Need to play better first.

They are just trying it out, I think this would be the 3rd tournament they have (I think) maybe they can adjust the buy-in and structure later on. They pretty much not experienced in setting up a tournament and don't know much about how to handle a tournament. Old people that just want to play, and I will try to help them make it a better place with better management/structure and buy-in etc..

I don't get any benefits from doing any of this other than that i want to help the poker community.
  • They have a website but the name is spelled differently. When I clicked on it I think it declared jihad on my computer.

When you read about a redneck being found dead tomorrow night, that will be me.

• pkrfce9 wrote: »

Oh come on, how can they not love you? Take Jah and maybe Cory, I would pay to be at that table..
    They have a website but the name is spelled differently. When I clicked on it I think it declared jihad on my computer.

I will protect you

SPARTA!!!
    Attachment not found.
  • You know what? It might be worth it, just to watch the infidel get killed.
  • Just came back from the place, met the great pkrfce9.

Here is the review, but as stated before its still a new game with a lot of improvements needed for new comers to enjoy the game as much as the people that go there regularly and know each other.

-some people didn't show up until 9:00pm so the game didn't start until then.

-They weren't sure if they would start a tournament or just straight cash game which ended just in a cash game with no tournament :(

-The min buy-in is 10 dollars(5bbs) which is ridiculous because there are a ton of short stacks in the beginning until after 3-4 hours where there are upto 400$+ stacks

-The game is ridiculously soft and people donating money left and right which is good :D

- The food is super great, but I'm not sure of the price since my father paid for that.

-The people are very friendly, yet 90% speak Arabic so new comers probably wont understand conversations, jokes etc etc.. and might get boring.

Overall its a good start in a HUGE hall (something like a wedding place) in a convenient location for the people in Mississauga. I think they should in-force some more rules and make it a bit more formal so that new comers can feel more relaxed. I hope pkrfce9 would make a more detailed one since I'm bad in that.It was a pleasure to meet you!

I hope he reached home alive after winning $10 after that session!!!
  • Did they tar and feather the redneck?
    halloweenpics002-1.jpg
    When I clicked on it I think it declared jihad on my computer.
  • If you look at it as a fun night out as opposed to a fix to a serious poker addiction it will help a lot. So will a liberal application of Vaseline before you start to play. I can't add a lot to sniper's comments on the poker.

Bilal (not sure if I spelled that correctly) was a great host. I didn't pay for anything so I don't know about costs either. The food looked very good.

Really nice venue. I would probably play again. The changes mentioned by sniper would make it more attractive to forum members.

I have emailed a detailed trip report to my investors.

If you look at it as a fun night out as opposed to a fix to a serious poker addiction it will help a lot. So will a liberal application of Vaseline before you start to play. I can't add a lot to sniper's comments on the poker.

Bilal (not sure if I spelled that correctly) was a great host. I didn't pay for anything so I don't know about costs either. The food looked very good.

Really nice venue. I would probably play again. The changes mentioned by sniper would make it more attractive to forum members.

I have emailed a detailed trip report to my investors.

Not received, please re-send!

Milton Slim
  • Did people actually buy in for $10? LOL!
  • No they bought in for 100 or more but a couple of the guys would only put 10 or 20 on the table at a time. There were a lot of all in hands! It was a bit frustrating. As mentioned it is more like a home game at this point so it wasn't worth making a fuss over but if the game is going to grow they are definitely going to have to make some rule changes.

I can't say if that would be a good thing or not. If it was my social club I don't know that I would want to be bringing in a bunch of outsiders and making it a bigger game with all the potential problems that can bring.

I know Bilal reads the forum and is interested in getting a bigger game going. This would be a good place to get the discussion going.

• This sounds awesome enough to book a Friday off from work... Will attend a game or two in the near future!
  • That might cause some confusion when they refer to the 'white guy'

• Well, then it will REALLY bugger things up if I go, too. Though they could just refer to us as the tall, bald white guy, the short white guy with the shades, and the broke white guy . . .
  • The "old" white guy might be interested...
  • Hmmm forumers night out at ...

• Sssshhhhhh !!!
    Hmmm forumers night out at ...
    So what is the date for the Forumers' Night Out sponsored by Rabba Fine Foods?

This week, I'll be with my kid again at Square One, but I'll see if I can stop by both sn1perb0y's & Bill's clubs.
    ... So will a liberal application of Vaseline before you start to play.
    Is the redneck bringing his Vaseline for the "old white guy"? ;)
  • The next game will be on Thursday 15th of May, at 8:00pm

The tournament will either be $50 +1 rebuy or a $100 freezout (not sure) followed by a 1/2 cash game.

There will not be a game this Thursday since the host will be busy and I think the hall-room will be used for something else.

I will update with definite details closer to the date.
  • Oooh, The_Game, JordanGM and I may be done with the Brantford $135+$25 Deepstack by 8 PM so 1-3 of us may be able to make this $100+$0 BF-approved structure. ;) If the "old white guy, tall bald white guy, short white guy with the shades, and/or broke white guy" can make it, this may be the best Forumers' Night Out since Woodstock! Anybody else joining us?
    sn1perb0y wrote: »
    The next game will be on Thursday 15th of May, at 8:00pm
  • Okay, so who all is going this week?