Tournament on Hamilton Mountain Friday March 1st at 6:00 pm

Its been suggested that we add a few more blinds to increase play so I thought I would ask for suggestions. We have a maximum of 20 players. during the rebuy period the blinds stay at one/two the whole time. After that we are going to do 15 minute blinds moving to 20 minutes when we hit the bubble. so if we are paying 3 then we go to 20 minute blinds at 4, if 4 paying then 5, etc.

So here is our blinds as they are today. I am looking for input on adding a few new levels to give more play. 5/5, 5/10, 10/15, 15/25, 20/40, 30/60, 40/80, 50/100, 75/150. 100/200, 150/300, 200/400 and then doubles after that(though we have never got that far). With rebuys and add-ons for 20 players we are around 10,000 maximum chips in play. What levels should we add?

Comments

• How long do you want the tournament to run? General understanding is a tournament will end when the big blind is ~5% of the total chips in play. So, with ~10K chips in play, it should finish around the 500BB level.

Depending on how long you want it to run, blind amounts and times can be adjusted accordingly.
  • I want the players to feel that it was a fair test and that they got value for their tournament dollars. So at least add a level 12 of 250/500 and 13 or 300/600 before look at doubling. When |Look maybe add a 10/20 between three and four (10/15, 15,25) and a level between eight (50/100) and nine (75/150) of 60/120. I also might add a level of 125/250.

so 5/5, 5/10, 10/15, 10/20, 15/25,20/40, 30/60, 40/80, 50/100, 60/120, 75/150, 100/200, 125/250, 150/300, 250/500, 300/600, 500/1000, and then doubles.
  • Well, some of your level jumps are awkward. I’d recommend something like:

5/10, 10/20, 15/30, 20/40, 40/80, 60/120, 100/200, 150/300, 200/400, 250/500, 300/600, 400/800, 500/1000, 700/1400, 1000/2000, 1500/3000…..

This should keep a similar level of playabilty and smoother jumps.

This should be more levels than you need for 10k total chips, but if you do need more maybe not double every level afterwards as it just becomes a bingo-fest at the end.

Just a thought
    EdtheTedBuickman60
  • If anything were to change, I would recommend changing the timing of the blinds before the blinds levels themselves.

EdtheTed
  • Just bumping it back up. We have 18 confirmed so looking for two more. Made a few changes as suggested by trigs and others. Main ones are going to 15 minute blinds (up to 20 minutes when we hit the bubble to give those who cash a little more play) and decreasing the rebuy period when the blinds do not go up so we still might end around the same time.
  • Your tournament is already generous in its lack of rakes and a couple of hours of blinds not raising at all to kick it off (unique, interesting!) One thing that should determine the length of a home tournament is the schedule/desire of the host. In general, I feel 5 hours of poker (6pm to 11pm) is more than enough. Popular prejudice is that more time/more chips allow players to better exercise their skills and increase their chances of winning. This is a fallacy, and games/blinds should not be lengthened by the request of a few who do not respect the hosts efforts, others time, or the logic of tournament structure ( Is it in the interest of the prize pool to decrease the rebuy period?) Be wary of folks who will spend away your time, efforts, and creation. Just do it the way you want, and see who shows up!
  • edited February 28
    I feel obligated to respond to this post.
    PokerJoe4u wrote: »
    One thing that should determine the length of a home tournament is the schedule/desire of the host.

I completely agree

In general, I feel 5 hours of poker (6pm to 11pm) is more than enough.

That is a personal opinion. Some might feel that driving from 1+ hours away to a game is not worth it for a 5 hour tournament especially if there's no cash game once a table opens up.

Popular prejudice is that more time/more chips allow players to better exercise their skills and increase their chances of winning. This is a fallacy,

I would love to hear your arguments about this point because I do believe that most players on here agree that more chips and longer blinds allow for more skills compared to a shovefest.

and games/blinds should not be lengthened by the request of a few who do not respect the hosts efforts, others time, or the logic of tournament structure

Again, I agree that it's up to the host, but I disagree that players suggesting a change is disrespectful to the host.

( Is it in the interest of the prize pool to decrease the rebuy period?) Be wary of folks who will spend away your time, efforts, and creation. Just do it the way you want, and see who shows up!

Why must a host "be wary" of someone who is simply making suggestions? And how is that person "spend[ing] away your time, efforts, and creation"? I host as well and I've never had an issue where I had to be wary of suggestions from my regular players. Should I be worried about something happening?
    EdtheTed
  • If hosts aren’t interested in or bothered by suggestions/feedback, they can let their feelings be known and that would be honoured. I’ve only been here for just over a year and feel it’s a safe space. This is a guess, but I assume this site was created to provide game options and game feedback.
  • rtj, A lot of us have been here 15-20 years, 18 for me, and I can't ever recall a host having an issue with suggestions. It is a safe place and I intend to keep it that way. For heavens sakes, I remember when trigs joined here maybe 10 years ago?? He absorbed some friendly ribbing , can't recall what about, but in any case he survived, to all of our benefit. He is one of the 10 or so regular hosts but more are always welcome. If you had been here 10 years ago there was a lot more negativity and people creating controversy. This has pretty well been stamped out and because of our rigorous (sometimes overly so) registration process we get very little spam. Believe it or not, it used be like the wild west on here, lots of temporary and sometimes permanent bans... Man, I sometimes miss those days! >:) If only the walls could talk.
    trigs
  • compuease wrote: »
    . If you had been here 10 years ago there was a lot more negativity and people creating controversy.

I miss Kristy too.

Mark
    trigsbeach2002
  • And Fed et al?
  • compuease wrote: »
    And Fed et al?

Was fed aka costanza?

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    compuease wrote: »
    And Fed et al?

Was fed aka costanza?

Mark

Yes. He went by many names due to him being banned multiple times.
  • I realise I am the host but I view the tournament rules for the most part as a democracy. I will listen to any suggestion within reason. By that I mean if you want to change the buy-in from $50.00 o $500.00 I will politely suggest you find another game, lol.

Trigs attended my tournament a few weeks back (turns out we live 5 minutes from each other) and he made a few suggestions that we will put into action tomorrow night. He indicated he is coming again tomorrow so we must have done something right. Next tournament we might tweak something else. I am not too concerned as much about when we finish as I am that people enjoy themselves. If they do they will come to the next one. To me 12 or 2 its all the same but I also don't want to lose players because we are playing too long.
    trigs
  • trigs wrote: »
    DrTyore wrote: »
    compuease wrote: »
    And Fed et al?

Was fed aka costanza?

Mark

Yes. He went by many names due to him being banned multiple times.

I that case...

I don't miss him. As I've said I tried to help the dude, scheduled a lunch out with him... We didn't get it to work. He also got found to be stealing like 20k on 2+2 IIRC. He shouldn't have been back as often as he was.

Mark