A Blind Schedule for Consideration

The next Bristol Street is coming tomorrow and the game with 32 players seemed to go well so I've been thinking about upping the limit to that, permanently

The big issue I'm finding at the moment is the time at which the tournament ends. It's been creeping later and later, and I'd like to reduce the time with out completely killing the action. (ie. I'd hate to turn this into a big all-in fest, which happens as play has gotten tighter and tighter over the last year)

So, I'm considering adding antes to the game. I hoping that this improves the game two ways (I'd like like to hear comments both in agreement and not in agreement)

- It forces the very small stacks into action; they can no longer sit and wait for big hands (i.e they get X compeltely free hands each rotation).
- It gives more room to play for everyone else. Since the goal is to remove a certain amount per player from the tables, we can reduce the BB and add antes, keeping the same money flowing off the table.

This does run the risk of extending the tournament out, but I think it'd be a fun experiment to try, just to see what happens. To make the format a little easier on me, the plan is to up the buy-in to 2,500 chips, and eliminate the red (5)'s from play. To keep the play the same, I need to mulitply my original blind schedule by 2.5, which actually almost fits perfectly into a standard (25) minimum chip schedule...

1. 25/50
2. 50/100
3. 75/150
4. 100/200
10 min. break (no colour up)
5. 100/200 (25)
6. 150/300 (50)
7. 200/400 (50)
8. 300/600 (75)
20 min break (colour up to 100)
9. 400/800 (100)
10. 600/1200 (200)
11. 800/1600 (200)
12. 1000/2000 (300)
(break colour up to 500)
13. 1500/3000 (500)
14. 2000/4000 (500)
15. 3000/6000 (1000) *capped*

With 2500 chips and 2 possible re-buys, I'd estimate roughly 160,000 chips in play by the end of the tourmanet. My main concern is that this will give us too much action for the last few players and we'll see the initial elimination speed up, but the latter ones will take a long time.

There will also be a lot of chips in play, but I think we can colour up as we go.

Let me know what you think.

Rob.

Comments

• I like the idea. I've never played in a tournament with an ante before so I'm curious to see how it will work out.

/g2
  • Zithal wrote:
    My main concern is that this will give us too much action for the last few players and we'll see the initial elimination speed up, but the latter ones will take a long time.
    I think the general idea is great, but after looking at the schedule, that's exactly what I was thinking.  From the few times I've been out, it seems that the majority of eliminations occur between levels 5-8 (first/second break), and then it slows down a lot.  The new schedule looks like it would speed up early elimination while still having a slow ending.

Specifically, the first 4 levels currently work out to 50BB, 33, 25, 16 (with starting chips of 1000), while the new schedule (2500 chips) is 50BB, 25, 16, 12 - the equivalent of removing the second level.  At the other end, currently level 13 (usually "final table") has blinds of 600/1200, costing 1800 per lap, which works out to 4500 per lap in new schedule (x 2.5).  However, the new level 13 has blinds of 1000/2000 (200), which means it would actually cost 4200 per lap (8 players), which is "slower" than the existing schedule.

I'd certainly be willing to try the new schedule out (even tomorrow), but after looking at it I think it will have the reverse effect of what's intended.
  • I think the game will go faster than you think after the second break. It will tighten up but the blinds will be aggressive enough to make things move. The final table may be slow, but only a test will tell.
  • I think this gives alot more wieght skill vs action, I really like it.

Perhaps the later rounds the levels go up as players are eliminated. Starting at the Final table.
    This would take away the grinding play that seems to evolve in the 12 down to final 2.

At 4 levels you are are close to 10% chip stack for blinds, which will force action, it also brings about alot more luck vs skill. However the antes will increase the pot making plays and aggresiveness, so that solid players also have an opportunity to play at pots witrh better rewards.

I like it....
  • I"ve not done well in tournaments with antes so I'd be against it. However if you could find a way so I wasn't getting home at 1:30 am that would be great too. But from looking at it I think it should play out well. Tho I don't think it will end any earlier. I can't come to the next Bristol street anyways so let me know how it goes.
  • This list is a comparison of the blind levels, ingoring antes (New v. Old) in terms of BB of a starting stack.

1. 50 v. 50
    2. 25 v. 33
    3. 17 v. 25
    4. 12 v. 16
    5. 12 v. 10
    6. 8 v. 7
    7. 6 v. 5
    8. 4 v. 3
    9. 3 v. 2
    10. 2 v. 2

So, in reality, I think Trevor's analysis is pretty right on. This isn't going to make much of a difference to the time.

I think I'll play with it some more and try to come up with something for BSC XIX
  • I have a couple of thoughts/ideas. Please let me know if they stink!

1. I think that you should go back to one rebuy, instead of 2.

2.. Don't let anybody else 'buy-in' after someone else has busted out, and doesn't want to re-buy.
    With 32 spots to play, there shouldn't be that many people left on the waiting list

I know both ideas take money out of the winners pockets, but I think most people would rather take a little less cash in winnings, and get to bed at a decent hour.

Basically, it boils down to time vs money!!

Rob, I would be willing to give the ante idea a shot, it worked well for the 7 Card Stud Tournament!

JohnnieH
  • Rob,

I believe when it comes to the math behind the blind schedule, you have a better understanding than me; however I would like to comment the use of antes.

I believe antes are a big part of the game and force players to play every hand.  This is especially true when it comes to getting to a final table or getting into the money.  It takes the skill of a player to the next level.

Prophet 22
  • As another option, what about continuing to use the current blinds, simply add antes. As a rough example, I plugged in the numbers for antes starting at level 7 of 25,25,50,75,100,200,300,400,500 with the current blinds (and 1000 chips). This means that at level 7 (75/150/25) it costs 375 a lap vs 225 currently, at level 11 (400/800/100) 1800 vs 1200, and at level 15 7500 vs 4500. This would keep the current early play (first 6 levels - which seems to be working) the same, and then make the final levels more challenging (costing about 40% more per lap). Just another idea.
  • 1. 25/50
    2. 50/100
    3. 75/150
    4. 100/200
    10 min. break (no colour up)
    5. 100/200 (25)
    6. 150/300 (25)
    7. 200/400 (50)
    8. 300/600 (75)
    20 min break (colour up to 100)
    9. 400/800 (100)
    10. 600/1200 (100)
    11. 800/1600 (200)
    12. 1000/2000 (200)
    13. 1500/3000 (300)
    14. 2000/4000 (500)

I would combine 9 & 10 making it 500/1000 and make the next level 700/1500

I'm ordering some new chips for tourneys....
    green 25 - 250
    black 100 - 300
    purple 500 - 300
    yellow 1000 - 200
    blue 5000 - 50
    this is enough for 30 players

I'm going to this blind schedule for tourneys

20 min levels
    25/50
    50/100
    75/150
    -- break
    100/200
    150/300
    200/400
    -- break -- color up green
    300/600
    500/1000
    700/1500
    -- break -- color up black
    1000/2000
    1500/3000
    2000/4000
    3000/6000 (if needed keep going 4000/8000, 5000/10000)

I'm gonna start everyone with 5000 for freezeouts.... 8 green, 8 black, 8 puple
    for big events give everone 5 yellow too and start with 10000, use 30 min levels.... then color up the purple after 2000/4000

A good estimator for players left at any point is the total chips in play divided by 20xBB
  • Well, to try something different we'll try out the blind schedule about to see how it goes. May work. May bomb. We'll see what happens!
  • Hello,

I can understand the issue with blinds and time issues. I ordered a machine called the poker genie, which could help with your estimations. This machine takes the number of players, the number of chips and your blind structure and gives you an approximate ending time. From the reviews I have read, people say the times are almost dead on. I will bring it out as soon as it arrives if you want to give it a test drive. Until then good luck with everthing.

Jeremy
    2BULLETS
  • Sounds like a good idea to me, although I think MickeyHoldem adjusment would make colouring up a little easier. Either way, should speed up action and emphasize skill versus key cards as mentioned before in this post.

- Jay
  • Anyone else find it kinda funny that I'm getting advice on how to determine when a tournament will end?! :) I knew I shoulda made that post a sticky!! :)

I'm guestimating that the number of chips in play will be rougly 160,000. The 20-30BB rules gives us an end point of 5000-8000. This means my tournament will never end tonight. Crap.

I'll guess that the 2000-4000(500) or the one after 3000-6000(1000) will be the end.

I've tweaked the schedule a little bit, as I did some digging and found that an ante of 1/3 the SB is common (I assumed the min was 1/4 the BB)
  • Zithal wrote:
    Anyone else find it kinda funny that I'm getting advice on how to determine when a tournament will end?! :) I knew I shoulda made that post a sticky!! :)
    Actually, your "blind theory essay" (http://www.pokerforum.ca/forum/index.php?topic=4368.0) was great in helping me figure things out for my own tournaments. It is humourous using it to point at potential holes in your own plans, though :) .

That said, I remember in conversation that you mentioned that things have started feeling a bit tighter, and you were starting to think of using 10-20BB's for your calculations. Any updates or observations?
  • I'm beginning to find that once you hit heads up, the tournament will soon be over regardless of where the blinds currently are. All it takes it one all-in called to win or cripple the game. So, no matter where the blinds are, heads-up is not that bad. The only slowdown at this point is the time it takes to deal the hands. (Which is why you'll see me going with a double dealer at heads-up)

The big slow point I find is down to three players. Everyone is reluctant to make the big move due to the jump in prize money from 3rd to 2nd. Everyone tightens up, but the funny part I see is that the player that loosens his/her game is often the one that walks away with the win. (ie. If you're playing for second, you'll get second.)

A good example is Flint Bones's win a couple tournaments ago. At three players he completely loosened up and none of the other two players would play back at him. He stole 8 hands of blinds before someone challenged him and ended up winning the whole thing.

At the very least, it will be interesting to see what affect, good or bad, antes have on the game.
  • We used the schedule last night and I'd like to hear feedback on what you thought was good/bad about it? Should we use it for the next one? If so, are there changes you'd like to see? If not, why not?

I'll chime in, in a bit with my thoughts.
  • While the faster blinds in the early levels were noticable, they were only barely noticable. The antes, however, were very noticable (when they came in), and I loved them. They really seemed to make every hand more valuable. They also made stealing more necessary/profitable, and led to some very interesting hands. I also found that the "critical" hands where people need to take some time to think took a lot longer (I'm assuming due to calculating remaining stack with antes).

Unfortunately, while it was fun to play, I'm not sure how successful the "end it earlier" experiment was, since I'm not sure what the target time is. We dropped from 4 players to game over in 2 hands, which is a little abnormal. With 3 players seeming to be a fairly lengthy point in the game, I would guess the game would have gone another 1/2 hour, to about 12:45. While that is a lot earlier than the last few, it's still creeping up there. But if you just want to end it before 1, it's great.

Overall, it was a bit more challenging (in a good way) and a whole lot of fun. I'd love to play with antes again, and I liked the schedule.
  • I thought the antes and the blind schedule went really well, i'd stick with it.
  • I loved the blinds and antes, it really made the later pots worth stealing.

Also the other benefit is that people realized that they had to mary thier hand till the end if the called the flop. If you called the flop you were pretty much commited to putting your whole stack in.

Although, I don't know if it accomplished anything on the time shortening, but I do like the play later.

• Bump. Need to find this later.