My Royal Cup Experience....

Well, I'll do this backwards, and thank people first.

Sandro/Miranda, all the team captains, the bartender, BigE (my babysitter for the day), Folded, and the Big Man (my captain).
You all helped make the day enjoyable.  I'd like to know what complaints people had.  From my perspective, it went off without a hitch.
Smooth transitions between games, awesome players, good blind structure and it was rigged.  I LOVED IT.

I knew going into Saturday that it was going to be my last tourney for quite a while.  Work/family are going to have my full concentration into the new year, so, I was relaxed and ready to get every experience out of the day that I could.  With the exception of a few players, I was going to be spending the day with 99% of those that have been great over the past 2 years, so, it was the perfect exit/game before the break.

A.M.

BigE was kind enough to offer to give me a ride.  I made him stop at McDonalds for my lucky Mediation breakfast.  Anytime I went into Toronto for a mediation in my old job I had to hit McPukes for a couple of Sausage McMuffins, no egg, two hashbrows and some shitty coffee.  BigE only took half of that, so, already down 13.00 but, it was a +EV move.

Arrive at the undisclosed location at 10:15.  Shoot the shit with AcidJoe/Aimee, Big Man and Cam.  Meet BusDriver and AJ out front.  I'd later go heads up with BusDriver...but, that's another story...

Pre-Game-

This involved telling Folded how big of a homewrecker donk he was.  We spent a good ½ hour killing ourselves laughing.  (no, not at GTA’s expense) just breaking Cory’s balls over what 5 minutes of prior reading could have saved him over the previous 16 hrs.  What an ass (Folded you are the greatest).

I had my seat assignments from Brent, I think he did a masterful job finding me places to play.  There were absolutely NO EASY tables.  But, I liked the mix of players Brent had me facing.  Compuease, I’d play cards with you anyday and did for most of the day.

Omaha- started late thank god, bar opened…Xuan was missing from my right, so, I had a place for my empties.  Xuan showed up, put empties on floor, knocked over, Cory (pirhana poker tour, nice guy) picked up a couple smiled…Xuan got knocked out, empties back on table between compuease and myself.  Card dead whole game, laughed at Sandro/Compuease and I folding…may have played 5% of hands.  I suck.  Donked way to 4th simply by people playing hands infront of me.  5 beers- now down 30.00 incl tip/breakfast.

Limit- GREAT table, with the exception of BusDriver who would not let me pee once we got heads up.  Things begin to get blurry here.  I did enjoy a hand with compuease where I basically BEGGED him to fold…”I’ll show”…I have you beat…please fold…holding KK on a flop of xxKc, all clubs.  Jeff had raised pre-flop, I re-raised, he called.  I was scared to death that he had AcX (big but, no c) and was going to draw out on me.  Zithal had a good laugh and suggested maybe this was a bit of a tell that I should work on.
I am only joking about BusDriver.  That is one hell of a group that plays in Chinahousey or wherever they are from.  I had run into Derksen earlier and faced AJ/AcidJoe/Aimee/Prkface9 on other occasions.  Seriously, there’s easier SNG’s to play…go find them.  BusDriver finally relented to a bathroom break and literally the tide turned my way and I ended up on top.  Thanks Jeff (although I think I called you Mike 100 times over the afternoon), you are a class act BusDriver and thanks for the kind words in the MVP thread.  That’s about the nicest thing anyone I blacked out and don’t remember meeting ever said about me.

Hmmmmmmmmm- pepi’s on break, thanks BigE and my apologizes for that smell I made around 11:30 infront of the bar that made people cry…but, its Pepi’s, and I challenge anyone to say it doesn’t have that effect on them as well.

NL- I played, I drank Ale’s with Zithal…I bluffed/drank and lucksacked my way to win #2.  Turning point here was what I built up to be maybe the greatest fold in the history of NL.  If the HH was posted most would have made same in about 10seconds…but, in true Johnny Miller CBS “Tiger can’t make THIS shot can he fashion”…I ended up folding my JJ to what turned out to be Quaine’s QQ.  Thanks for showing sir.  Table was a lot of fun, no one punched me out for my foul language.

Heads up.  Some dude from the Piraha’s woke me up and convinced me that I was to play him next.  I argued a bit as I was a little lost.  Game lasted 6 hands, maybe 7.  Pac pushed all-in every hand I believed.  I called with Ax…I think he had a Q…game over.  (yes, this is the brilliant poker that I played to become MVP).

Games over- now down 80.00 at least at the bar, + pukes and pepi’s.  Plus BigE said something about $80.00 for ride home. 

MVP award…sweet…climb on chairs, pose, separate shoulder patting myself on the back for being the greatest poker player ever.  Climb on Table because Mark already did the chair pose, table pose would be new and fresh.  Did same.  Won pts side bet with Kitchener II.  Brent, I know you HATE drunks at the poker table.  Hopefully I’m back and you’ll have me on Kitchener II for Royal Cup 3.

Thanks again for an amazing day, this wasn’t just the usual KW crowd, large parts of this forum were represented on the day and I have to say, it would be a monumental challenge to find 64 better people to hang out with on a Saturday, the poker is secondary to me, the people made this event what it was. 

I thank you all for letting me be a part of it.  Dave, aka Wolffhound…aka MVP.

Comments

• Good god too funny, that was just a riot of a day as the beer went down, thanks for making it such a fun time buddy! I don't think anyone was offended but everyone was entertained!!!!

Thanks for breakfast and the beers and congratz on taking down the Kit II Team side pot as well as the MVP award, well deserved IMHO!

I just ain't playing on a team without the Wolffhound!!!

p.s. you forgot to mention the sweet all-in bluff on a K high board with two clubs getting a Pirana to fold AK, I thought it was a sweet move!!!
  • ummm, just remembered you mentioned you'll be taking a break....

I am sorry to hear it but understand completely.....I'll be firing up CHPC season 2 shortly, you'll always have a chair but I'll repsect your decision if you say no.

You also also own a piece of helping catapult us past the HB Kids in the overall standings woot woot! :D